The Possibility of Developing Ptosis from Botox for Frown Lines?

I am a female, 24yrs and I received botox 48hrs ago for the first time. I had the botox injected into my frown lines. I am not sure of the number of units injected but I know that it was 15 units or less. I have since been on the internet (probably a bad idea) and now I am quite paranoid about the possibility of developing ptosis for my eye brows or eye lids. I received the injections from a doctor who has been injecting for at 3 years. What is the chance of this occurring? Thanks.

Possibility of ptosis

+1

Between the low dose you had injected and hopefully that you saw a highly trained injector such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon (regardless of the number of years they have been injecting), you should have no problems...be careful with Dr. Google!

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

The possibility of developing ptosis from Botox for frown lines?

+1

Drooping eyelids/brows are one of the side effects. There are no tests to check if you will get it or not, it just depends on how your muscles absorb to Botox. I would wait about 2 weeks and go back to the place where you got your Botox for the doctor to assess the area treated.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis is unlikely after properly-administered Botox!

+1

Although the full effects of your Botox injections have yet to be completely seen (can take several days to a week or more), if you don't have ptosis now, you probably won't develop it. This is something that should have been discussed prior to your injections, so that you understood the risk (quite low) and the experience level and skill of your injector. (BTW, ptosis is still possible from an experienced injector, as patients who do not follow directions can massage, exercise, get a facial or chiropractic adjustment, or other inadvisable actions that increase the risk of this occurring.)

The reported risk of blepharoptosis with Botox Cosmetic is 3% compared to a placebo rate of 0%. I've seen it 3 times in 10 years (and in one case the patient went and got a facial right after her Botox injection). There are eye drops that can help to minimize the degree and improve eyelid position if this does occur. Fear not, fair maiden! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Possiblity of Ptosis

+1

Ptosis happens in less than 3% of patients per available records from Allergan and Medicis (those who make Botox and Dysport). Having a drooping eyelid is not the same as having a droopy eyebrow - though they are often both referred to as ptosis by the general population, they are different muscles and different problems with technique and injection sites. Be calm and see how your results are.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD