Using the Same Pockets in Revision to Upsize Breast Implants?

I am considering a revision to increase the size of my submuscular implants. My PS said a revision would be relatively simple a he would reuse the same pockets. My current implants have a diameter of 10.6. There is currently a generous but natural looking gap between my breasts. Would my new implants have to have the same diameter to fit into the existing pockets? Would the pockets need to be enlarged for an increase of less than a centimeter? Would such an increase affect post op swelling?

Achieving Goals with Revisionary Breast Surgery?

+2

Sounds like your plastic surgeon is giving you good advice. Depending on how  big you wish to go with the revisionary breast surgery and the current position of the breast implant pockets on your chest wall, some “manipulation” of the breast implant  capsules may be necessary.

One of the keys to success with this type of revisionary surgery will be careful communication of your goals with your plastic surgeon. In my practice, I find the use of goal pictures very helpful during this process.  Show your plastic surgeon, has precisely as possible, what you are trying to achieve.

When a larger implants are substituted for smaller and placed in the same pocket that pocketable need to be made larger.

+2

Occasionally patients opt to go with larger implants. Usually the old capsule is partially removed which creates plenty of space for the new implants.

Larger implants

+2

Upsizing implants is common, If the diameter of the implant increase is only 1cm more then the current capsule is probable going to be large enough. 

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Implant revision

+2

Generally to go wider, you need to score the inside of the capsule or else they will potentially look tight.  It all really depends on what implant is selected and the findings regarding the pocket at the time of surgery.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS