How Can I Verify That the Dermatologist Is Highly Trained in Specifically Juvederm to Tear Troughs?

How do I make sure that a plastic surgeon/dermatologist is highly trained in placing juvederm in the tear trough area ? In the past, I have gone to board certified dermatologist and she was also a trainer for fillers. However, I had a very very bad experience. Websites usually have few testimonials. Nobody likes to discuss that they had a filler placed under their eyes. A person could be easily fooled. For future, how do I make sure that I won't have a negative experience ? Thank you

Under Eye Circles Juvederm Good Outcome

+1

In my experience, determining the diagnosis of why under eye circles appear is the critical step to a good outcome.  Heavy fat pads, festoons, malar drop, skin color are all important issues, as well as, volume loss in the tear trough.  I believe that your injector should review all of these factors with you prior to deciding on Juvederm.  Assuming you have done all of this I think before and after photos will be helpful.  Good luck!  vargasfaceandskin

Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Patient reviews, ask to see before/after pictures, ask to speak to another patient

+1

I would look for online patient reviews, ask to see before/after pictures of the under eye area, and you could ask to speak with another long time patient.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

The tear trough area is very un forgiving, and must be handled with a very conservative approach and on the right anatomy.  I also refer to this area as being "low yield" since the results are subtle and the risk of bruising and  puffiness is higher.  I only pick "slam dunk" patients for this procedure and vast experience is required since it is very easy to create lumps and discoloration.  The problem with this area is that many complain about the shadow of the tear trough, yet choices are very limited.  You have worthless creams and excessive surgery with not much in the middle. 

I wish I could be more helpful in this setting.  I will say technique is everything.  I would go on a word of mouth reccomendation only from patients who have had this done with the derm in question.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Juvederm in Tear Troughs

+1

Injecting near the tear troughs is an art. Personally, I don't recommend Juvederm in the tear troughs because Juvederm itself can cause ridges there and have a bluish tint when injected into thinner skin. I prefer Restylane in the upper cheeks only as it does not have these issues; I do not use Juvederm there except in very small cases. I have taken Juvederm out of hundreds of patients who have had Juvederm poorly injected near the tear troughs and had these issues. Therefore, after injecting over 15,000 syringes of Juvederm, I'd tell you that I wouldn't use it in the tear troughs, and I'd much prefer you try to find a physician who uses Restylane there.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Using Juvederm or Restylane to fill out the hollows under the eyes can improve your appearance.

+1

Finding the right dermatologic surgeon for you may take some research.  Ask to see photos of their work, ask how many patients they treat in this fashion, and ask to speak to some of their patients or perhaps staff that has had the treatment done.  We treat our staff so they can share their results with others and describe the treatment as well.  You should feel comfortable with the physician who is doing your injections and make sure to have all your questions answered.  In addition, if you ever have too much juvederm placed under the eyes, make sure that your dermatologist has hyaluronidase available so that they can reduce the material in a matter of 24 hours.  Best to you.

Carolyn Jacob, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

As k to speak or see other tear trough injected patients. realize these patients are going to be the "happy" ones. Otherwise it is a leap of faith issue. 

How to choose the right physician injector

+1

Always ask about the experience of the injecting physician and make sure they have all of the "tools" to use, such as all of the various facial fillers (Sculptra, Radiesse, Perlane, Restylane, and Juvederm) that are approved for use in the United States. The effectiveness of your treatment depends on your physician’s ability to visualize the desired changes and to select and skillfully administer the best treatments alone or in combination. Since every face is different, the experience and technique of your physician injector is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. Always ask to see before and after pictures of patients they have personally injected. If possible, look for someone who is on the medical education faculty for one of the facial fillers. If they have been selected to train other physicians how to treat the aging face they are likely to be good, experienced injectors. As you know, your results will depend upon the skill and experience of your physician injector.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

How to Screen for Tear Trough Injection

+1

There is no way to guarantee that you will have a positive experience. The best you can do is ask the doctor about their experience in a particular procedure. Look at before and after pictures and speak to a patient if available. Many doctors have treated staff so perhaps you can see how their result looks. But remember, that you are looking at another patient with likely a very good result. That can't guarantee that your result will be the same, but it should give you more information to make your decision.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Juvederm in Tear Troughs

+1

There is no absolute way to know if your injector is an expert in this area.  Photos are helpful, but some patients will not allow their photos to be shown to other patients.  If an injector tells you that he or she has never had a bruise or a lump or swelling, then that injector has not injected enough patients! 

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Training for tear troughs

+1

There is specific training/certification for Juvederm in the tear troughs. It is like art. You can get all the training in the world but it does not make you a good artist. Your best bet is to ask to look at a lot of the doctor's before and after photos specific to the tear troughs. Bear in mind that if your bags are fairly large, tear trough injection does not look as good as surgery. For that you will have to go to a surgeon, not a dermatologist.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon