The pain from coolsculpting has been very extreme. Is this normal?

Day 3 the pain started and with a vengeance! I am on day 8 and it's nor any better. The doctor's nurse said I'm the only one that has called with this concern. I call BS! I've taken the nerve med and pain meds they called in for me. Nothing is working. My husband is very worried and thinks I need to go to the emergency room. Ice makes it feel a little better while it's on. But can't keep it on all day. What should I do? I pain for 2 sessions and can't imagine putting myself through this again

Extreme Pain from Coolsculpting

+1
Sorry for the discomfort. A small percentage of patients have had this happen including to myself. With proper care, the pain is manageable and short lived. Patient selection and understanding of medical history are keys. Despite the pain, I would say that the patient was worth it and that coolsculpting is the best option for nonsurgical fat reduction.

Cool sculpting

+1
I understand what is happening.  I recommend to all patents that have the abdomen treated using a neoprene waist trim me.  These can be found at Dicks Sporting Goods, Walmart, Target, or online at Amazon.  Tylenol or Ibuprofen should be adequate to treat the majority of symptoms.  The issue you are describing usually happens at 2 weeks especially if a stacked treatment was performed.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Pain syndrome following Coolsculpting

+1
A very small minority of patients experience what you have described. The good news is that it is not permanent and there are ways to help mitigate the discomfort you are experiencing. Before I treat any patients, I have an extended discussion on all the risks and potential complications which are very few with CoolSculpting. I am surprised that the office seems unfamiliar with this rare but documented side effect. This is why it is most important to see a physician who has a great deal of experience and background in the technology which was invented by two Harvard dermatologists. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Pain after CoolSculpting

+1
The pain you are describing must be very difficult for you.  Some 15 patients out of more than half a million treatments given have reported severe pain with onset immediately or up to one week after the procedure. These patients all responded to the nerve medicine you mentioned, gabapentin or another in its class. However, this medication must be started with low doses that increase quickly, usually every day or two, until the patient responds. All patients responded to the pain mediciation, and all had resolution within two weeks, and, although you may not believe it or want to hear it today, all said they ultimately had no regrets after they saw the results.

Please review with your physician a second time that you have no contraindications to the treatment, especially cold-induced diseases or Raynaud's disease.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Pain after coolsculpting

+1
A small number of patients experience pain that is above average after their coolsculpting treatments. This is usually seen in thinner patients who have very small pockets of fat. Usually all pain resolves on its own within 2 weeks of treatment. You should schedule a follow up appointment with whoever did your coolsculpting procedure for an in person evaluation. Good luck!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon