What are the different options for lip augmentation?

What gives the most natural look? Why do so many people get the duck lips? What's the average cost and how long does it last?

Best options for lip augmentation

+1
Juvederm, Restylane, or Belotero are the best options for lip augmentation. They can be used to replace lost volume, define the vermilion borders and create a more youthful curl, elevate and lift the corners of the mouth, and correct vertical wrinkle lines. They can restore the natural contour of the upper and lower lip and enhance the Cupid’s bow area. Lifting the corners of the mouth gives a hint of a smile and reduces the “sad or angry look” when they are down turned. Please remember, your results depend upon the skill and experience of your physician injector which is why some get "duck lips". You can follow the video link above to see me injecting my wife’s lips with Restylane!

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Options for lip augmentation

+1
Hello and thank you for your question.
There are many different options. Those options include: surgery, fat transfer and fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane. The unnatural look comes from being injected improperly. Changing the proper lip aesthetics leads to a fake look. You need to have this procedure done, particularly if you chose a permanent for m of correction, by someone who truly understands lip aesthetics, and does not fill them like they're two sausage rolls. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.
Best of luck to you!

David Cangello, MD

Natural lip augmentation Restylane or Juvederm

+1
I have performed the lip augmentation procedure with Restylane for over 10 years now achieving outstanding natural results.  I could do the same with Juvederm.  The most important factor is having the experience, injection technique and knowledge of where to inject and how much to inject to get perfect and natural lips.  I dislike the duck lips and would never get that result because of my aesthetic judgement of what beautiful lips should look like.  The average cost is $450 with dental block.  Restylane and Juvederm both have Lidocaine formulations that makes the injection more comfortable.  

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

How to avoid duck lips after filler treatment?

+1
The key is to find the right injector as opposed to the right filler. There exist many hyaluronic acid based fillers that work nicely in the lips. Lip implants can also be used to create a permanent result. The key is to have the best injector place a safe filler in the proper areas of your lips in the proper amount and proportion. Juvederm works very nicely in this area but no product can make up for an inexperienced injector or one with a poor aesthetic sense.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options for lip augmentation

+1
Though multiple fillers can be use for lip augmentation, I prefer to use the Juvederm family of fillers, given the soft and natural appearance of lips after administering this hyaluronic acid substance into the lips.  In order to avoid the "duck" look, I stick to 1 syringe of filler at a time, unless someone has very thin lips, or if someone is older and needs more structural support above and below their lip. Using this less is more approach, natural and pleasing results can be achieved and frequently, patients love their lips so much that we add another syringe to achieve the final results.

Tatiana Khrom, MD

Duck lips from lip augmentation

+1
What you describe as "duck lips" is often produced when too much filler is placed in the lips. I will say that based upon my experience this often requires more than a syringe or two of filler distributed between the upper and lower lips.

Lips

+1
alloy, I start with a hyaluronic acid filler. Should last about 6 months and cost about 500. Should the patient llike this and want something longer lasting we discuss implanted alloderm. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon