What Are The Options Available For Removing Deep Flat Moles? (photo)

I have a flat mole on the right side of my nose which has been there since birth. I always thought it was a birthmark but lately realize it wasn't and is considering getting it removed. I do not mind scarring just want it removed as im tired of being starred at weirdly, called names such as ''moley'' etc. Its lowering my self esteem and i have little or no confidence whatsoever in what i want to do career wise. What procedure method would be best for removing it?

Mole needs surgical excision

+2

Removing this mole completely will require surgical excision.  Excisions in this area are standard procedure for Dermatologists, particularly those with Mohs fellowship training.  Wounds in this area can be repaired either by moving nearby skin into the wound, applying a skin graft, or allowing it to heal in on it's own.  A scar is inevitable and it's appearance will improve over the coarse of at least one year.  Laser resurfacing procedures can effectively minimize the appearance of the scar but would have be used with caution on your darker skin type.  Daily zinc containing sunscreen is also critical after the excision to minimize redness and pigment darkening of the scar.  In response to your community comment, there are no topical creams that will remove this mole, no matter what they advertise.

Englewood Dermatologist

Mole removal

+1

For a complete removal of a mole, the only option for you is to have the mole completely surgically excised.  This can be done under local anesthetic.  I would advise that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an evaluation. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Dark moles do well excised and the edges dermabraded.

+1

Excision of your mole under local anesthesia is your really only option to remove it and I would dermabrade the edges of the wound to help blend the scar as nice as possible. Cost $500. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Options to remove flat moles

+1

The best method to remove a flat mole is to surgically excise it.  The location of your mole makes the excision a little more difficult in terms of closing it.  I would consult with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to discuss the possible surgical excision and go over the different surgical options.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon