What is the Best Option to Remove Keloid on Ear? (photo)

I have had this keloid formed after i had my cartigle peierced with a gun, it was growen bigger in 2years. Its purple in colour and surface does not feel like normal skin, it feels hard and it hurts when i hold it or press it. I want to know weather this would be covered under health spending account if i go to plastic surgeon AND if there is a chance it might come again. Please kindly adv how much the cost might be also. Thanks

Keloids

+1

I treat hundreds of these in the office yearly. The best way is with excision and reconstruction and adjuvant treatment either with steroid injection or radiation

What is the Best Option to Remove Keloid on Ear?

+1

Combination treatment is usually best. This can include steroid/ 5-FU injections to reduce the bulk of the keloid and lower the risk of recurrence following by surgical removal. Keloid removal can typically be performed in the office under local anesthesia. Following removal, compression therapy and additional injectable treatments are also helpful to prevent recurrence. There are additional options such as radiation which would not be recommended in your case given the size and stability of the keloid. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/scar-treatments/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloid of the ear

+1

This appears to be a proliferative keloid of the ear helix, with involvement of the cartilage of the ear.  I would recommend surgical excision of the keloid.

Web reference: http://surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/39/keloid-surgery.aspx

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.