What is the Best Option for Me for Rhinoplasty? (photo)

From the front when i'm not smiling, my nose is not bad, however when i smile one nostril is higher than the other giving my face asymetry, and my nostrils are clearly different sizes even when not smmiling.I am happy with the appearance of my nose from side on, if I were to alter that it would only be minor so as to achieve a slightly more upturned nose. What do you propose for an overall better appearance and how much would this surgery cost?

Best option for you? Probably no rhinoplasty!

+1

In my view, the photos you submitted shows a very pretty young woman.  Yes, you have an asymmetry of your face, and this is reflected in the asymmetry of your nostrils.

But I think a surgical attempt to try to correct that is misguided and more likely to leave you:

•    Disappointed
  •    Dissatisfied 

Fillers can also be used, but, frankly, you would have to decide whether that is what you would want and if it is worth the expenditure and time. 

Generally, very minor asymmetry, like yours, are very rarely seen by anyone but yourself.  Your asymmetry, in particular, does not detract from your overall good looks.  For that reason, I think I would probably take a pass on any consideration for rhinoplasty.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

What is the Best Option for Me for Rhinoplasty?

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and after looking at the photos, here's what I see.  From the front view you have a C-shaped nose that's curved and deviated.  The left nostril is higher but it's attached, to the cheek, at a higher position on the face versus the right nostril.  This is associated with normal variations and differences in the two sides of the face.  Here's the really big issue, IMO.  Your nose is already upturned with a nasal tip that's rotated at 115 degrees as seen on profile view.  This is upper limit aesthetically and as such, IMHO...is the last thing that should be done during Rhinoplasty.  No tip rotation should result from nasal surgery.  The nasal tip can be thinned slightly, the C-shape corrected (if this bothers you) and the slight bunp on the left dorsum removed all through a closed Rhinoplasty and retrograde Tip-plasty (the only tip technique that doesn't rotate the tip at all IMO).

Nasal Evaluation

+1

The nose should be evaluated when the patient is not animated. Little can be done to correct asymmetries caused by facial motion unless there is a history of nasal trauma or inherited congenital abnormalities.  Limited changes such as correcting the septal deviation, and augmenting the narrow middle 1/3rd of your nose. Consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Based on your concerns and your photos, you may not be a good candidate for Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos. Your nostril asymmetry is barely visible, and you have a nice nose. Your smile is more asymmetrical than your nostrils, and neither of these asymmetries are unattractive. I hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty asymmetry questions

+1
You have a nice nose. Mild asymmetry is common, normal and does not generally make a nose look less pretty! Most people looking at you won't even see that your nose is mildly asymmetric. So to begin, ask yourself why you would consider nose surgery at all. In the event that the asymmetry is something you feel must be improved, and the tip position altered, it will involve septal surgery at the minimum. However, it can technically be done. The place to start is a thorough consultation and some 3d computer imaging to look at your desires in more deal. In general, even small shape changes require a number of steps in the operation. Consultations do not have any obligation to you to have anything done, and are a good first step in learning more and exploring your options. Good luck

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

What do I need for my nose

+1

You have a good nose and I would not encourage you to do much. You need a septoplasty on the caudal septum to straighten your columeela and even up your nostrils a bit, otherwise I wouldn't do anything else.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Don't mess up a good thing!

+1

You have a really nice nose. It is already really turned up with an open angle at the lip, and any higher would probably look funny. Many people have a little asymmetry of the nostrils, and yours would be difficult to correct.

I would definitely leave it alone. I do many nose surgeries and have a lot of experience. If you look hard enough you will probably be able to find someone who will operate on you, but my guess is that you would see no change or a change for the worse. You are already pretty so leave it alone.

John Alexander II, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

It is hard to see for sure from just a photo but I suspect you have some nasal valve collapse on the right accounting for the nostril asymmetry. That would require structural cartilage grafts. I am not sure rotating the tip up would be beneficial.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD