What is the Best Ointment/cream/oil/lotion to Use on Surgical Incision Scars?

What is best for softening and smoothing them out? What ingredients should be avoided and how long should this treatment be used for? I specifically had a tummy tuck and am looking to treat that incision.

BioCorneum works great on Scars

+2

BioCorneum is a 100% Silicone based scar treatment. This product is a silicone gel, that when applied of the affected area, works by forming a protective film that hydrates the scar and allows the scar to mature improving the appearance of the scar. BioCorneum also has and SPF of 30 to prevent darkening of the scar from exposure to UV rays. The gel is applied twice dailey and can be covered by compression garments or other cosmetics. I recomend this cream to any who wants to reduce the appearence of their scars.

Surgical Scar Treatments

+1

I feel that the best products for improvement of surgical scars are those which contain silicone.  There are several of these which can be purchased without a prescription.  Look for silicone on the ingredient list.  Some are ointments/creams which others are impregnated into tape.

John Whitt, MD

Oleeva scar shapes work very well after tummy tucks

+1

Hi Sarah,  I would suggest you try Oleeva scar shapes.  They are a silicone sheet that is used for progessively longer periods on the abdominal sar.  Start at 2 weeks.  Use it 4 hours the first day and increase by 2 hours a day until you wear it all the time (except when you are in the shower).  One sheet will last 2.5 months because you wash and re-use it.  A little trick, it is 5 cm wide.  When you get it, cut it down it's length, that way you gert 2 - 2.5 cm wide strips and now you have 5 months of silicone sheeting.  If you cannot locate it in your area - you can order on line though our office SKIN MediSpa.  sunscreen, massage and time are also important elements to optimal incisions.

Scott Barr, MD
Sudbury Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of Scars

+1

Post surgical scars seem to respond more to rubbing and pressure, than what you are rubbing on them.  Vitamin E oil works really well, as does taking vitamin E by mouth.   If the surgery has been relatively recent, wearing a waist binder could benefit you by applying pressure.  These can be found at most department stores.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD