Will the Number Of Injecitions Affect Length of Results With Sculptra?

I am 50 but am told I look about late 30's. I have very good skin and no wrinkles, just some hollowness due to low body fat that has caused minor sagging. I just had 1 vial of Sculptra done and loved the way I looked right after. Was told that would be similar to the end result. I was told I will need 2 more injections over the next couple months or it won't last 2 years. I feel I'd be happy with 1 and I have a tight budget. Would it make a difference if I had the 3rd done in a year?

Will Number of Injections Affect how long Sculptra lasts?

+2

It sounds like you had a positive initial experience with Sculptra, you did not mention if you had one or two vials injected.  Typically the improvement a patient gets initially with Sculptra is just due to the volume of fluid in the vial of sculptra that was used to reconstitute the sculptra.  That fluid is resorbed and with that the volume decreases but over time the sculptra particles which are left in place stimulate collagen which gives the full look similar to how it looked when it was just the fluid giving the fullness.  This improvement takes time and experience has shown that a second or third treatment seperated one to two months apart keeps that collagen stimulation going so that the patient can get best results that peak at 8 months from the first treatment and last about two years.  If you have a tight budget and you feel that you already see results from your initial treatment, you would certainly not do any harm in waiting a year to have another treatment done.  At the very least the collagen stimulation you get will prevent your hollowness from getting worst with age.  

Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra the liquid facelift

+2

The number of injections will not effect the length of time the sculptra will last. On average sculptra will last 2 years and at that time patients will come in for a touch up.

However the number of injections will effect the volume of correction. Sculptra stimulates your body the make collagen therefore more sculptra will result in a greater correction.

If you are happy with 1 vial, stop there, you can always add more in the future.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

How Many Sculptra Injections Needed?

+2

Hi,

Your questions bring up several important points about Sculptra (PLLA):

• The Sculptra particles are dissolved in sterile water prior to injection. It is the fluid volume that gives your face the immediate fullness.
  • The water is absorbed over 3 to 7 days and you lose the fullness.  Over several months, the remaining Sculptra particles stimulate new collagen formation that may last for two+ years.
  • But, there are several factors (e.g., your age, amount and cause of the "hollowness") that determine how many vials of Sculptra are needed to "see" the desired result: 2-4 vials for younger patients. 6 or more for older  patients.

If after 6-8 weeks you are pleased with only one or two vials, then it's OK to stop without affecting the long term result.

Thanks for your question and good luck!

Stephen M. Lazarus, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Number of Sculptra treatments affect lasting results

+2

Hello and thank you for sending your question to RealSelf. Sculptra Aesthetic is an extraordinary treatment to stimulate collagen and naturally and beautifully restore volume that is lost over the years.  It is exciting that you (as a patient) can see the immediate advantages just following the injection of the product as it does give you a short "window" as to what can be expected once the product goes to work to stimulate your own collagen. The product is suspended in water at the time it's injected, so as the water is absorbed, you may see the volume decrease until the product does it's job.  

Your question is specific to whether or not it's important to have the consecutive treatments, and if it's going to affect the longevity.  The biggest disappointment we see in patients is when they're under-corrected, or are spending money for treatment, but do not have enough product injected during the treatment to obtain final expected results.  With Scuptra, even a drop of product injected will have a long life-span (2 years on average), but if the proper amount of product is not injected, the eventual outcome may not provide you visible results to make you feel satisfied with treatment. These treatments are all expensive, and my advice to you is to assess the treatment 4-6 weeks from date of first treatment, and decide for yourself if the next appt. is necessary to meet your needs.  I also suggest this for your 3rd treatment.  Most patients will really start to see Sculptra results weeks following the 2nd treatment.  We're happy if you are happy, and "more is not better", but as a professional, it is important to make dosage recommendations to patients having cosmetic injection treatments, so that you're best informed when making the decision to proceed and to equip you with an understanding of how products work and how much product may be  required to get pleasing results.  

Congratulations to starting Sculptra Aesthetic treatments and the very best to you.

Gregory Mesna, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Timing of Sculptra treatments

+2

Since Sculptra is a stimulating agent, it normally takes several treatment sessions to achieve the desired result.  Once this result is reached, the effect should last for two to four years.  There is no harm in waiting a longer period between treatments, although spacing them further apart will mean it will take longer to achieve your end result.  For example, if you require three treatments, your will obtain the desired effect sooner if the treatments are spaced a month apart rather than further apart.  You could wait a year to do your third treatment, but you will not have the full effect until that third treatment is done.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra and Longevity

+1
Generally speaking you need three injections of Sculptra injected approximately one month apart to get the best long-lasting results.  That being said, I have some patients who were quite pleased after two injection treatments and they opted to wait several months.  If you are happy with the clinical appearance of the injections then by all means wait and do not have more Sculptra injected now.  It may be that you produced enough collagen since you look so young to start with that you achieved full correction more quickly.  Please keep me posted.

Michele S. Green, MD

Sculptra Results

+1

Thank you for your question. Everyone is different, and you may have a fabulous collagen response, and get that much time out of minimal injections.  The odds are against you, but you can certainly try it.  The policies are to minimize dissatisfaction with the product use.  If you are not happy with the results, then you can have more. I hope this helps!

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Number of Injections of Sculptra

+1

Hi,

As you have experienced, Sculptra is a beautiful product for people who need volume rejuvenation.  It creates such a natural fullness in areas that cause us to look old.  The manufacturer recommends Sculptra be done in one month intervals for three treatments total.  I tell patients that after the first treatment to expect a 15% improvement.  The most collagen stimulation result is after the second treatment and the last treatment is to really cement the result and prolong longevity.  However, these are guidelines and every person's face is different so the number of vials really varies on what you and your doctor percieve that you need.  The great thing about Sculptra is that you have the time to decide on what you like and what you want to achieve in your final result!

Warmly,

Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

How many vials

+1

There is no set number of injectios that you need and no set schedule.  Just know that any one injection series will start to be noticable in about 4 weeks (subtle) and be fully developed at 6 months.  Slender individuals tend to get more modest results than full faced individuals.  If you like your result, there is no need to do more until you feel that you need it.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon