Will the Nose Tip Settle or Soften a Bit over Time?

I had a rhinoplasty one week ago to correct a bulbous tip. I had my cast removed yesterday. After looking in the mirror I almost passed out. I look like a cross between Charles Krauthammer and a Who. It looks as though I have a ball at the end of my nose. I am panicking. I was hoping for something much more subtle. Will someone please tell me if I can expect my tip to settle down and look more natural?

Nose Swelling Will Go Down

+1

Yes! It will go down. You should expect to see results after swelling in about a month, but keep in mind your nose will not be its true shape for about a year.

WIll the nose tip settle or soften a bit over time?

+1

Not to worry, you are right near the peak of your swelling, and it is not abnormal to have an exaggerated nasal appearance at this time. The ball-like appearance is due to swelling in your nasal tip. When tip work is performed, the swelling in this area is usually the last to resolve. Over time, the swelling in your tip will settle down. It can take up to one year before you see the final result. In general, swelling can be influenced by:

1) Whether the procedure was open or closed
2) Whether tip work was performed
3) Thickness of the patient's skin
4) Whether or not the procedure was a revision

I would give it some time and see how you heal. Your surgeon will have answers to any of your concerns in the meantime. Thank you and good luck!

Web reference: http://www.carolinafacialplasticsurgery.com/surgical-procedures/rhinoplasty/

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to expect after nose surgery (rhinoplasty)

+1

Swelling after nose surgery starts to resolve by 3 days afterwards, but it is still quite profound at 1 week. Swelling will come down 80–90% by 1 month from surgery. The remaining swelling will take up to 1 year to resolve and it is usually the tip that is the last to go away completely

Early Rhinoplasty Results

+1

You obviously were not aware that the tip swelling right after a rhinoplasty can be significant and will take many months to settle into the final shape. Removing the nasal splint/tapes (cast) is not a 'TV' moment where the result is instantly seen. It will take 6 to 12 months before you should make a final judgment on the result.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com

One week after rhinoplasty

+1

It is normal to have a lot of swelling in the tip after an open rhinoplasty.  It is way too early to be bothered. Give it several weeks to come down and then a full year for the residual swelling to disappear.