Is It Possible to Make the Nose Thinner Only when Smiling?

Is there a type of alar base reduction that only affects the nose when smiling? Or will the nose look thinner all the time? My nose is only wide when I smile.

Nose surgery/alar reduction

+1
If alar reduction is done properly it should help thin the nose and get rid of the flaring problem you see while smiling. A picture would be helpful to help determine how this would change the overall aesthetic look of the nose. I use a digital imaging computer in the consulting phase which allows the patient to see the proposed results prior to surgery and would be helpful in your situation to determine the desired results. Best regards!

Web reference: http://www.michaelelammd.com