Why Does the Nose Look Shiny and Un-natural After Rhinoplasty?

I've noticed on some people the nose looks really shiny after there rhinoplasty. Almost looks like plastic. What is the reason for some people to end up with a really shiny nose?

Shiny Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

Oily skin post rhinoplasty is common. This can subside after 4-6 months, but it can last upwards of one year post-op. Changes in the texture of your skin are normal. Secretions can occur after rhinoplasty because your blood circulation has been modified since the procedure and swelling occurs. You might also experience an excess of oil on the nose as the sebaceous glands have been disturbed due to the procedure.

Shiny Unnatural Look After Rhinoplasty

+1

You can sometimes see this type of change when the nose is puffy and swollen following rhinoplasty surgery. This will usually subside after the first 10-14 days as the swelling settles down.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shiny nose after rhinoplasty

+1

The nose is often swollen and shiny because of the swelling and reaction to healing. It gets better with time.

Shiny Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

Examples would help.  This may be due to thin skin, aggressive defatting, multiple procedures, multiple grafts, stage in healing.  I cannot say that I noticed any of the hundreds I have done becoming shiny.