Is It Possible to Make the Nose Less Droopy Without Making It Longer?

Doctor I consulted with says my nose will get a bit longer after rhinoplasty... My nose is already big for my face and I don't want it to get longer! Can the droopy tip be less droopy without the nose getting longer?

Droopy nose

+1
How droopy a nose is based on the naso-columellar angle, the angle of the upper lift and nasal tip. The ideal angle is about 110 degrees with anything less than 90 degrees being very droopy. It is possible to shorten the nose during rhinoplasy to achieve the ideal naso-collumellar angle

Less Droopy Tip Desired

+1

If you are attempting to fix a droopy tip, the nose should become shorter in a sense. I have provided a link below to an online chapter about management of the droopy nasal tip. I hope this sheds some more light on the situation for you. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

No, that's just plain silly IMHO.  Rhinoplasty doesn't make the nose longer which is the same as saying the nasal tip is under rotated...unless the Rhinoplasty Surgeon makes that happen with the techniques he/she uses during the Rhinoplasty.  You may consider having additional consultations with experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeons.  Hope this helps.

Rhinoplasty need not lengthen nose

+1

There are many techniques used in rhinoplasty to reshape the nose and correct facial balance and proportion.  Most of these result in shortening a nose that is too long or a droopy tip.  Rarely would a rhinoplasty increase the length of the nose.  I would suggest you get second opinion from an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon whom you feel comfortable discussing your concerns about the length of your nose.  You should not have to accept a longer nose following a rhinoplasty.  Good luck to you.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Droopy tip

+1

Shortening a droopy tip will make the nose shorter, not longer.  Releasing the depressor septi ligament will prevent the nose from drooping when smiling.  Reducing the hump on a large nose will also de-project the nose and make it look less prominent .  Computer imaging and an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon should get you the nose you desire

Droopy tip and rhinoplasty

+1

Dear sourkid13,

• Your overall aesthetic concerns are more important that which techniques we use to get to your goal
  • Computer imaging can show both scenarios of lifting the tip and shortening the nose versus lengthening the nose to bring it into proportion with the rest of your face
  • With the use of pictures, the surgeon can show you the 2 options and you can make your decision based on what you see

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Longer Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

Having a rhinoplasty will not make a nose longer unless that is what the surgeon and patient want to achieve. I have intentionally lengthened short noses when necessary. If not desired this complication can be avoided by having the operation done by an experienced rhinoplasty specialist. 

Make the Nose Less Droopy Without Making Nose Longer

+1

The tip can be raised, while the nasal projection can be decreased by reducing the septal height.  In addition, suture techniques can anchor the new position and fine tune it.

Rhinoplasty and longer nose

+1

The nose should not be made longer if the tip is raised because it is a bit droopy.  Best to be seen in person.

Rhinoplasty doesnot make noses longer.

+1

Rhinoplasty does not make noses longer and they can be shortened aas much as you like. Even over shortened