Does the Nose Have to Be Re Broken to Get a Dorsal Augmentation?

i had a dorsal hump removed and it like to get it back with a graft, id just like to know what the procedure consists of, does the nose have to be rebroken to add the graft? when the graft is added does a cast have to be used on the nose? and can this be done in a closed procedure? thanks in advance for your time and for answering all my questions, and thakyou for this website.

Dorsal augmentation and rhinoplasty

+1

Dorsal augmentation requires a graft. Most commonly a cartilage graft is used. It is difficult to do this properly through a closed approach. Sources for cartilage include the nasal septum, ear, and rib. The best choice for you can only be determined after a personal consultation. It's possible to use foreign materials such as silicone, but they are associated with complications, including infection, which can be severe. They would not be recommended, especially in a revision rhinoplasty.

Augmentation of the nasal dorsum

+1

The nose does not necessarily have to be re-fractured when augmenting the nasal dorsum. This is provided there are no other issues that need correction. After a rhinoplasty, you will have a cast on the nose the first week followed by brown paper tape the second week. Augmenting the nasal dorsum can take place during a closed procedure, and an in-person assessment will confirm this. A great option for augmenting the nasal dorsum is DCF (diced cartilage with deep temporalis fascia). With DCF, you can expect the following:

1) A natural appearing result
2) Reduced risk of infection or rejection by the body when compared to an artificial implant.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Assuming that the first rhinoplasty produced a sufficiently narrow dorsum, breaking the nose would not help and would not be necessary.  The cartilage graft could be placed onto the dorsum and sutured into place through a closed approach without a splint.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Dorsal Nasal Augmentation

+1

The nose does not have to be broken when placing a dorsal nasal graft to restore a hump. I would use a cast for 6 days after a closed procedure.

+1

No, if you're augmenting the nasal dorsum with a cartilage or man made graft material, there's no need to break the nasal bones.  Breaking the bones is required when a dorsal hump is removed thereby creating an open roof deformity.  Breaking the nasal bones closes this by moving the nasal bones back together in the midline.  

Dorsal graft and nasal fracture

+1

Usually nasal fracture does not have to be done with dorsal graft.  But every case is different and if the nose is very wide may improve the result.  Prices vary from surgeon to surgeon and what part of the country you are from.  See a board certified surgeon for evaluation.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

No refracture needed to augment nose during a revision.

+1

No refracture needed to augment nose during a revision. The graft can be placed over the old hump area.

Dorsal augmentation of nose

+1

The nose does not necessarily need to be broken to place a dorsal graft on the nose.  If the nose is not broken, then a cast would not be needed, but it's likely that some tape would be placed over the nose to help stabilize the graft.  The graft could potentially be placed through a closed approach.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon