Why is the Nose Getting Bigger at 3 Months? Is This Shrink-wrapping? I Am Back Where I Was at 2 Wks Post-op

6 days ago, I hit a blood vessel in my nose because there's so much scar tissue forming after a bump 6 wks ago.It seemed to affect only one side of the nose before & I stopped massaging. Over the day that spread to the "healed" untouched side.My implant is intact & I have thick oily skin, but now, 3 months post-op, nose is the even bigger than the old, shapeless nose, but engorged/ extra shiny. It either spreads from side to side or hangs down/forward. When will this stop/retreat in size?

Post Rhinoplasty Surgery

+2

Swelling from a rhinoplasty can fluctuate during your recovery and it varies from individual to individual. It's difficult to really tell without an in person consultation. Swelling can be caused by a number of reasons including the development of scar tissue but again, it's recommended that you see your facial plastic surgeon for an in-depth analysis.

+2

The swelling is going to be very prominent at this early stage.  I would follow with your surgeon.   This may take the full year or more to resolve.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Kenneth Hughes, MD

Why is Nose Bigger 3 Months Following Rhinoplasty?

+1

One reason you may not be getting many responses to your question is because it's hard to interpret and envision exactly what is happening to your nose.  If you want an accurate assessment and response, it would help immensely to see photographs at different stages of your healing as well as photos taken before surgery.  Some people develop excess scar under the surface of the skin which can make areas of the nose look bigger -- especially the area just above the tip.  Again, if you can provide photos, that would be great.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon