What Are the Negative Effects of Flying 9 Days After Revision Rhinoplasty?

I have heard that one could develop a nosebleed and should bring Afrin aboard to stop it. Other info has mentioned prespraying your nose with Afrin before boarding. Would it be smart to ice during the flight? Is the cabin pressure detrimental to the revision results? I am already more swollen than a regular rhino, due to necessary grafts and an open procedure, but I DO need to return home, lol! I just want to travel the five hours in the safest way possible without messing the results.

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty both open and closed for over 20 years on patients, from all over the world, that then flew back home at 1 week after the Rhinoplasty without issues.  Icing the nose is always recommended while flying, IMO but you should get more specific instructions as far as Afrin use goes, from your Rhinoplasty surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Flying after surgery

+1

There are only a few things to be concerned about when flying after rhinoplasty:

dry cabin air can cause nasal irritation or bleeding;

swollen tissue can inhibit pressure equalization;

swinging bags and loose elbows can cause unpleasant trauma.

Tips:

carry salt water nasal spray for moisturization;

use pseudofed for decongestion (if there are no medical contraindications);

protect your nose!

Flying after Rhinoplasty

+1

There really isn't a problem with flying at 9 days. Commercial airlines are pressurized and unless there is a loss of this, you shouldn't have an issue. If you are significantly swollen in the nasal airway, a decongestant such as Afrin can help on a one time basis. You can have rebound swelling after so be careful. Also, make an effort to walk during the flight to ensure circulation is maintained as there is a small risk of blood clots in the legs from both flying as well as surgery.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

Post-op flying after rhinoplasty

+1

9 Days after rhinoplasty surgery  may be a bit soon to fly.  First, the nasal passages and sinuses may be swollen and may feel more swollen with the change in pressure.  You always want to stay well hydrated on a plane as well to avoid clots in the legs.  Make sure that you get up and walk around often to minimize the risk.

Flying after rhinoplasty

+1

I like to try and have rhinoplasty patients hold off on flying for two weeks. You are in the in between zone. The reasons are to try and have enough healing to be confident that there won't be bleeding and to let the swelling subside enough to help pressure equalization. Afrin is good to help this. More importan is be careful to not get bumped, stumble, have something fall from the overhead or have the seat in front of you go back while you are leaning forward.  You will likely be Ok. Your situation is not uncommon so don't panic. Many people travel for revisions in order to find an experienced surgeon and most patients do Ok with this problem.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.