Can the Narrowing of the Middle Third of my Nose Be Fixed? (photo)

I had a nose job 6 months ago to have a hump taken down. The middle right side of my nose now seems concaved. The left side also but much less. I have diminished breathing function on both sides but more so on the right. My voice sounds “stuffy” What is going on with my nose? Can it be fixed? Is the fix considered complicated? Does the fix address both breathing and esthetic concerns? Can revision rhinoplasty cause more negative problems? Thank you in advance for your time and expertise, Louie

Can the Narrowing of the Middle Third of my Nose Be Fixed?

+1

Your tip can be refined and elevated to improve the cosmesis at the same time that the middle vault is corrected.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

spreader grafts for valve collapse and nasal obstruction

+1

It's best to wait at least a year before undergoing revision rhinoplasty to make sure full healing has taken place.  An inward  deviationof the upper lateral cartilage  can be repaired with a spreader graft composed of nasal cartilage or ear cartilage depending upon whether or not there is any cartilage left in the nose from the primary surgery. This should help with airflow function. Look for an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for best results.

Better Breathing

+1

It sounds like after taking your hump down, your surgeon may have done osteotomies to narrow your nose. Occasionally, that can cause internal nasal valve collapse. A way to improve your breathing could be placement of spreader grafts, which does mean a revision rhinoplasty. I recommend you have a personal evaluation by a Board Certified Otolaryngologist and Facial Plastic Surgeon. This way you can get the look you want but also have someone who understands the function of the nose.

Deidra Blanks, MD
Wilmington Facial Plastic Surgeon