The Muscles in my Eyelids and Lower Forehead Are Straining to Hold Up my Skin?

For the last couple of weeks, the muscles in my eyes and lower forehead are sore from looking up. When I raise my eyes, my eyelids feel "weighted" and I have to lift my head to alleviate the strain. It's more than tiredness. It's like the muscle burn. I'm constantly aware when I raise my eyebrows that I'm doing it now, because it burns after a few moments. I'm a 44 yr old who has had 20 un of Botox in the frown lines & forehead 3 times, but I don't think that's related.

Brow ptosis and botox ?

+1

Brow ptosis is descentt of the brow and brow fat pad and typically occurs with advancing age or from inappropriate use of Botox. See your physician for an evaluation. If it is from Botox it should go away in 3-4 months.

Buffalo General Surgeon

Judgment required for good results with Botox to the forehead

+1

Botox to the forehead is usually done for horizontal wrinkles, which form when the muscle that raises the brows (called the frontalis) is hyperactive. The reason for the hyperactivity is often heaviness in the upper eyelid area or a sagging brow, which is compensated for by using the muscle to hold up the brow. So relaxing the muscle will make the wrinkles soften but then the eyelid heaviness reappears. These are very tricky cases to treat with Botox so good judgment and technique are required.

Richard Baxter, MD

Brow and Eyelid Droop after Botox

+1

Brow and eyelid droop from Botox can be prevented by careful injection and proper dilution techniques. 

Eyelid strain and botox use

+1

There can be a number of different reasons for the feeling of eyelid strain, which you are describing.  These can include weakness of the levator palpebrae muscle in the eyelids or excessively heavy eyelids, but can also include botox migrating into the levator palpebrae muscle.  Check back with your doctor, who performed the injections.   If the symptoms are associated with botox the symptoms should resolve.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Lids feel heavy after Botox

+1

You describe the onset of the heaviness in your lids occurring recently after a Botox injection, so it is possible there is a correlation.  If it was due to the injection, you may need to be patient until the effects of the Botox wears off, but I'm sure you practitioner would appreciate a call from you so he/she can assess the situation.

Daniel Townsend, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis following Botox treatment

+1

It is difficult to give you precise advice without seeing photos and/or performing an exam, but you may have ptosis resulting from your Botox treatment. When did you have Botox last? Only an exam can tell for sure, and I would recommend following up with the physician who performed your treatment. I hope this helps, and best of luck to you. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Brow ptosis

+1

You may have brow ptosis compounded by too much Botox?  Hard to say without an exam.   Best to see your doctor.

Heaviness in the brows and forehead from Botox

+1

It sounds like you may be experiencing ptosis in th brow area.  This could happen if too much Botox was injected in the forehead, or if it was injected too low.  The effects of Botox can vary from person to person, and what may yield a nice cosmetic result for one person can lead to complications like you are experiencing in another.  Please see your pracitioner for further evauation.  

Ritu Saini, MD

Botox and muscle soreness

+1

From what you've described, it sounds like you need to follow up with your provider for an in-person assessment. Because you don't have any photo's to view, it is very difficult to answer your question. You should consider posting pictures in the future.

Sam Naficy, MD

Eyelid strain after Botox

+1

You could have some eyelid ptosis, which is where the eyelid is actually weakened a bit from Botox injections, which are done too low in the glabella region. It would be helpful if you could post a picture. If it is eyelid ptosis, what happens is that sometimes the muscle will feel okay (like in the morning and day) but as the night comes and the weakened muscles have worked hard all day, then the ptosis becomes worse, and the muscles feel strained. Over time, this will correct itself, but if it is eyelid ptosis, you can also get some prescription eyedrops from your physician. If it's more eyebrow ptosis, than eyelid ptosis, this can't be corrected from the eyedrops, but can correct with time. Seek advice with a photo, or from your injector. Your Botox may simply need to be placed differently in the future.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD