Can the Muscles Being Tightened Cause Your Waist to Be Larger? (photo)

About 2 weeks ago I have TT with lipo to flanks, BL, and BA. Before having the surgery I had a 24 inch waist. I actually didn't have that much fat on stomach just lots of loose skin from losing 110 lbs. I thought after the TT and removing the excess skin I'd probably be even smaller. But my waist now measures 29 inches. It doesn't feel swollen to me and doesn't really look swollen to me. The muscles are very tight underneath and I thought maybe that was what was causing the additional girth.

Mommy makeover tummy tuck liposuction

+1

Hi,

After a tummy tuck and liposuction, there is quite a bit of swelling not only from the liposuction trauma but also from the deposit of blood and serum in the areas suctioned in the flank areas.  It is very common for patients to state that they gained weight and have to loosen their belts due to the swelling.

Be patient.   A tummy tuck does NOT increase the waist size.  It allows for a tightening of the muscles and even though this might not translate into much of a loss on the waist measurement, it certainly would not increase it.  Your increase is directly proportional to the retained fluid and repair tissue.  It will bet better....give it time....Even up to a year !

However, your waist size will decrease within the next weeks and months.  The padding of your waistline that was liposuctioned should translate into a waist size decrease !!

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover - effect of muscle tightening.

+1

Similar to any surgery, swelling after a mommy makeover can take up to 3 months to go away.  For rhinoplasty, that swelling period has been be reported up to 1 year.  I would not be concerned.  Muscle tightening can be done in multiple directions to take in a waist during a tummy tuck however I don't think it could actually add to to your waist size.  I would relax and wait.  In the meantime I would recommend a concerted effort to eat right.  You will lose weight and size as you wait for your swelling to go down.  Best wishes!!

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Waistline after tummy tuck

+1

I believe your pictures indicate your waist is about the same size and circumference.  You may have a bit osf swelling.  Wait for your final pictures in a few months and then decide.  Don't look at a tape measure, look in the mirror.  Overall I would say you have a good result.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Larger waist after surgery??

+1

From the photos you have attached, I see no difference in the waistline, and I would suspect a measurement error.  Unless you are terribly bloated and larger in all abdominal dimensions, I can't see how your waistline could have increased by 20 %.  The photos show a nice improvement. Enjoy it! 

Thanks and best wishes.