I Had Under the Muscle Saline Implants 14 Years Ago and Now the Right One is Getting Hard. Do They Need to Be Replaced?

+2

Dear Sunshine,

Thank you for your post. It sounds like you have a capsular contracture. You should be assessed in person and will likely need a capuslotomy or capsulectomy and replacement of the implant.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture

+2

A capsular contracture can develop at any time after a breast augmentation.  Many times a pregnancy can be a precipitating event.  If your breast shape has changed significantly then you may want to consider a capsulectomy and replacement of the implant with a new device.  

Capsular contracture 14 years after breast augmentation

+2

It sounds like you may be developing a capsular contracture after 14 years. Best to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.  They need to be replaced if they bother you.

Capsular contracture 14 year after surgery

+2

If one breast is becoming hard 14 years after bilateral augmentation, I would suggest repalacing both implants.  A Plastic Surgeon in your area should be able to advise you of your options for replacement. Good luck.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture does not require surgery.

+2

Capsular contracture is not a health issue. Patient sometimes choose surgery is a potential treatment for situation. You have the luxury of time to consider a variety of treatment options.

+2

There are some non-operative options to treat capsular contracture that are usually attempted before surgery. Your surgeon is a good source for specific advice. If you do have surgery, replacing the implants would be advised by most surgeons.

All the best. 

Removal of a capsular contracture around a breast implant usually requires a new breast implant.

+1

Thank you for your question. The proper management of capsular contracture today involves removing the old implants, removing the capsular tissue, and replacement with new breast implants preferably covered with acellular dermal matrix like Flex HD, Strattice or AlloDerm.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Saline implants 14 years ago, right breast is hard

+1

14 years is a nice long run with saline implants!  If your right breast is getting hard, you may be developing a capsular contracture.  If it bothers you, you can correct it with surgery and at that time exchange your implants to silicone gel staying under the muscle.  An in-office consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be recommended.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture treatment in Los Angeles

+1

I advise all patients to treat capsular contracture early to avoid unnecessary complications or surgery.  Some treatments available do not require surgical intervention. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS