Will the muscle mass I have developed negatively affect my recovery time?

I am 53 and want a tummy tuck and liposuction of my inner thighs. I exercise 4 days a week including strength training however I can't get rid of the sagging tummy and rubbing thighs.

The more fit and stronger you are at the time of surgery, the better your recovery will be.

+2
The more fit and stronger you are at the time of surgery, the better your recovery will be. We encourage patients to maintain a normal exercise routine up until the day of surgery and then we get them back into that routine as soon as possible. It is true that you cannot exercise your skin. You can see that you may be very strong and fit and still have excess skin and laxity. That is where the abdominoplasty or tummy tuck achieves its best result by removing the excess skin and fat, but most importantly all that excess skin that you simply cannot get rid of with diet or exercise.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Will muscle mass negatively affect my recovery time

+1
No, your muscle mass will not affect your recovery time. In fact, the time you have spent strength training will only increase your immune system and ability to heal. People who exercise and eat healthy tend to heal and recover much faster than people who are overweight and have low muscle mass.

Robert Najera, MD

+1
The muscle mass will help you in the recovery process.

Los Angeles, CA................

Muscle Mass and Recovery from Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+1
No! Muscle mass from working out will not hinder your recovery from an abdominoplasty and liposuction. In fact, it will help speed your recovery. It will also make your surgery safer.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Muscle mass

+1
Any kind of exercise before surgery will improve muscle and aerobic strength and will enable you to emerge from surgery and the recovery period more comfortably and effectively.  You sound as if your are a good candidate for the surgery you are contemplating .  With this in mind i encourage you to seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for discussion and information about specific information.

John M. Griffin, MD

Will muscle mass affect my recovery after tummy tuck?

+1
The muscle mass you have developed through strength training will not negatively affect your recovery time after tummy tuck at all. It will, however enhance your overall results. I recommend to all my body contouring patients that they add strength training as well as higher intensity interval training  to their usual cardio regimen. Sounds as if you are doing everything just right prior to tummy tuck, good luck!

Jeffrey K. Scott, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon