If I Have the Moles Looked at by a Dermatologist Who Declares They Are Benign is It Safe to Have Laser Mole Removal?

These moles are raised and on my chest. The doctor said they would be removed in layers in separate sessions to leave the least amount of scarring.

Don't treat moles with a laser

+1

The first question is whether or not the lesions are truly moles. Assuming they are, I never recommend having laser treatment for their removal.  Even if they are benign, they have the potential to become malignant and if they are lasered off, there is no way to monitor for this change.  The laser only removes the top portion of the mole so the deeper portion of the mole is left there.  But... if they are removed by shave excision with a scalpel--it can kill two birds with one stone.  You can have the cosmetic benefit of their removal but also have the tissue looked at under the microscope to make sure it is indeed healthy tissue. And, if the deeper portion does grow again, it can easily be tested (which is not possible if it has been lasered).  Finally, if the shave excision leaves a scar you aren't happy with, you can have the scar then lasered because the tissue will have been analyzed already. 

Seattle Dermatologist

Saferty of Laser mole removal

+1

I feel that it is never appropriate to use a laser as your primary treatment for removing a mole. Regardless of how "benign" a mole may appear, a biopsy may still reveal it to be atypical. I typically remove moles on the chest by doing a shave excision. This is done very quickly and relatively painlessly in one session and heals with a minimal scar. The tissue is then sent for microscopic examination which is the only way to ensure that it was benign. Using a laser to improve the appearance of a mole will alter its look and make it more difficult to observe for precancerous changes in the future.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon