Whats the Best Way to Get This Mole Removed? (photo)

I have a pretty big mole on my cheek. I've been thinking about removing it because I dont like it and the health risks. How much does mole removal cost? and what would be the best method?

Hi There,

Here is a link to the average cost of Mole Removal reported by our community members.

Hopefully this helps!

Mole removal

+1

I would recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist for evaluation and possible treatment. 

Scalpel Sculpting Works Well For Cosmetically Removing Facial Moles

+1

Although removing larger moles by any method from the face is likely to leave a small scar, scalpel sculpting, which involves no deep cutting or stitches has, in my experience, proven quite successful for achieving gratifying aesthetic results while leaving little, or often barely perceptible, scars.

The technique, which I have been using for thirty years, involves "scultping the mole" off from the surrounding skin in a tangential fashion (i.e. not cutting deeply into the skin). Deep cutting will inevitably result in a scar, while superficial (horizontal) removal in this fashion largely avoids this. The edges of the mole can then be smoothed and blended with the surrounding normal skin by "dermaplaning," a technique by which the edge of the scalpel is used to delicately abrade the skin. Properly done, the entire procedure, performed under local anesthesia, takes no more than three to five minutes. Perfectly flat moles (beauty marks, birth marks) can be elevated a tad with the local anesthetic and then more easily scalpel sculpted away and shaped to the contour of the surrounding skin.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Mole removal and the best removal method

+1

I would excise it. It is too big in my opinion for laser excision. The size of it could lead to a significant scar if you were to laser it away. Shave, cryotherapy can lead to higher recurrence and scars as well.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fairly large -dark - flat mole

+1

First - please get consultation from a board certified Plastic Surgeon or a Dermatologist.

If the recommendation is "Removal" - you should get it removed. It will leave a scar. A plastic surgeon will try and leave as small a scar as possible.

Subramaniam Arumugam, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Dark moles do well excised and the edges dermabraded.

+1

Excision of the dark mole under local is really painless and dermabrading the edges help blend the scar, then a 2nd dermabrasion 2-3 months later if needed. The initial office visit is $85 and the excision/dermabrasion is $350-500. It is very easy to undergo and you'll be glad you did. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon