Will the Miss Piggy Look Fade Soon After Moh's Surgery?

Will the miss Piggy look fade soon? I had Moh's surgey 4 days ago. No graft, just a horizontal ridge of sutures---which I assume will be the big scar that will fade over time...more concerned about the miss piggy look vice scars.

From Piggy back to Aqualine nose

+1

While we are all Muppets fans, I'm sure you didn't go into surgery hoping to leave resembling Miss Piggy.  The swelling that occurs after surgery can last a few weeks due to all the local anesthesia injected as well as tissue manipulation.  What you can do to minimize this swelling is keep activity to a minimum (ie, don't raise your blood pressure as that will likely increase the swelling), apply ice packs (or a bag of contouring frozen peas), and follow your wound care instructions.  I suspect your nose will be looking much better soon but if still concerned, let your doctor know as there is almost always something that can remedy it. 

Seattle Dermatologist

Miss Piggy Look Following Reconstruction

+1

It's normal to have swelling following reconstruction. I tell people that it takes 6-12 months to get final cosmetic result but usually the area is looking pretty good a few days after surgery. Your best option is to speak with the surgeon who performed the repair and discuss your concerns. Most patients have a little bit of nasal tip ptosis (droopiness) as we age and the reconstruction may raise the tip slightly. However, if performed correctly, the reconstruction should not remind you of Miss Piggy. As I said, best option is to follow up with the surgeon. Talk to him or her about your concerns. If they give you satisfactory answers and the appearance improves, great. If not, don't be afraid to speak with another expert on nasal reconstruction. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Looking strange after Mohs surgery

+1

I assume you mean that the end of your nose is slightly turned up? There can be a good amount of swelling after Mohs surgery, and especially in an area like the nose. I would give it at least 2 weeks to see how everything settles down before you worry about the outcome.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD