What is the Minimum Age to Receive Fillers for Lip Augmentation?

I am interested in trying a non-invasive lip augmentation via fillers. My first choice would be Restylane, but I read on the Restylane website that the minimum age suggested by the FDA is 21, for the use of Restylane as a lip augmenter. I am currently 20. I was wondering if this means a board certified cosmetic surgeon will not agree to use Restylane on me until I am 21. Also, does this mean Juvederm is not used for lip augmentation on patients under 21, as well?

Minimum age for use of fillers

+1

The FDA approved Restylane for use in patients 21 years of age or older. Injection in younger patients would be considered an off label use.  Some physicians adhere to the guidelines more stringently than others.  I would recommend that you see at least two dermatologists/plastic surgeons in consultation to determine whether this treatment is right for you.

Restylane and Juvederm are very safe for lip augmentation even at age 17.

+1

Restylane and Juvederm are very safe for lip augmentation if you are old enough to give an informed consent.  These are my favorite products because of the long lasting results that can be achieved and the safety record of these two products.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Age for lip fillers...

+1

There is no minimum age for lip injection.  The FDA suggestion is just that - a suggestion.  The decision rests with the parents (if you are under 18) and the physician injector.  The patient needs to be mature enough to understand the risks.  Having said that, if a physician injector thinks you are a candidate then there is no problem.  Juvederm or Restylane are excellent options for enhancing the lips and their safety is well documented.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip fillers

+1

While lip fillers are very safe and effective, I wouldn't call them non-invasive.  You are having a foreign substance injected into the skin.  As long as you are aware of the possible complications and the potential for swelling and bruising, you should be pleased.  I have injected women in their early 20's and they have done well.  

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Minimum age for fillers

+1

While I have probably not placed filler in an individual in their very early 20's, I do not see why there would be a problem?

I Base the Minimum Age for Lip Filler on a Case by Case Basis

+1

Lip augmentation with a HA filler is safe, reversible, and can enhance the appearance of the smile and face.  If a patient has a reasonable expectations, appropriated motives, and understands the risks then the minimum age can be as low as a teenager.  

Patients commonly undergo a nose job or rhinoplasty at age 15 or 16 if they are an appropriate candidate.   I do not see why a patient of similar age could not get a reversible filler in their lip at the same age.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minimum age to receive fillers

+1

I think you have already received wonderful answers.  I think most good and conscientious physicians would be concerned about injecting someone less than 18, but I think you need not be concerned about being 20 instead of the FDA approved age of 21 to receive Restylane.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Is There An Age Limit for Lip Augmentation?

+1

You are correct in that the FDA approved Restylane for lip augmentation in patients 21 years or older.  That being said, if an expert, experienced injector feels you are a candidate for lip augmentation and that you appreciate and understand the risks and benefits of the procedure, it may be possible for you to have your lips treated.  I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon experienced in injectable fillers.

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Minimum Age to Receive Fillers for Lip Augmentation

+1

The FDA based their approval of restylane for lip augmentation on a minimum age of 21. Slightly younger patients may be able to qualify for either restylane or juvederm treatments if they are candidates for the procedure and have the maturity to understand the risks and benefits of the procedure to provide informed consent. Consult with 3 - 4 expert and experienced physician injectors to understand if you are a candidate.  

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Age limit for Restylane

+1

Dear patient, 

Your question regarding the use of Restylane is difficult. Yes, based on FDA approval of the medication such as Restylane and Juvederm, you are not a candidate until you are 21 years of age. However, if you discuss this with you family and cosmetic surgeon and fully understand the risks and benefits of the procedure based on informed consent, you may qualify for lip enhancement with hyaluronic acids. 

Good luck,

Marianna Blyumin-Karasik, MD
Hollywood Dermatologist