What is the minimally evasive procedure for my chin area. Chin implant, liposuction or neck lift?

I feel like I have a double chin and lack a jaw line but I am scared of having a masculine jaw with a implant. I am 46 and feel like I am slightly getting jowls . But I do want the best results with less evasive procedure which. Will last the longest. I

Minimally invasive chin procedure

+2

Sue, neck liposuction and chin implant would fall in a minimally invasive category, and you appear to be a candidate for at least liposuction. A profile view is necessary to determine if you are a candidate for a chin implant. Both procedures can be done in the office under local anesthesia, with minimal recovery and downtime. Neck lift surgery is more invasive - and from the photo you provided it is unclear whether it is advisable at this point.

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is the minimally invasive procedure for my chin area. Chin implant, liposuction or neck lift?

+1

I think a chin implant with neck lift will give the most improvement.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of chin implants and facial procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Chin and neck liposuction versus chin implant versus both

+1

this is a common dilemma and thank you very much for the photograph.  A profile photo would be a bit more helpful.  In any case I will attach information about chin liposuction.  In particular laser-assisted chin lipoma suctioned in the form of SlimLipo.  The 2 most popular laser-assisted liposuction technologies are SlimLipo and SmartLipo I have used both and currently I utilize slim because I feel I get better results and a bit quicker.  That being said the laser is a bit more powerful than the one used with Smart lipo.  You asked for minimally invasive and I must warning that any of these procedures whether it is a chin implant or chin liposuction is surgery and has some risk and downtime associated with it though many would consider it tolerable and reasonable.

In general from your photograph I think you could benefit from laser assisted liposuction without a chin implant but a chin implant would probably enhance the overall outcome quite a bit.  There are good ways to avoid making your chin and jawline look too masculine.  Selecting the right implant and customizing it based on your anatomy is important.

best of luck

Chase Lay, MD
Double board-certified facial plastic surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Different options for chin surgery

+1

This is a great question because it is asked many times through the day in every plastic surgeon's office. In fact I bet you'll get as many different answers as plastic surgeons you meet with. In my personal opinion submental (under the chin) liposuction is difficult to do well because as the patient ages following the procedure, they can often develop an unnatural scarred appearance under the chin. So therefore I try to avoid most blind liposuction techniques. In addition fat under the chin can be in two distinct pads, one close to the skin and a deeper pad which is under the platysma muscle. Sub platysma liposuction is very dangerous and is typically not performed yet many patients have most of their fat in this area. I feel is it safer and more effective to address these areas with direct excision performed during some kind of neck lift procedure whether it be a large procedure with incisions similar to a facelift or a smaller case with an incision placed directly under the chin. But as I said, each surgeon you see will likely have their own opinion regarding this area. 

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Defining Your Chin

+1

More photos are needed to make a recommendation. You are at the age to consider a facelift. A face/neck lift will tighten and remove excess skin, and correct the jowl area. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an exam, and to discuss your options.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Minimally invasive neck and chin treatment

+1

Without a profile shot it is hard to know whether and to what degree a chin implant would help. At your age, you might be a candidate for liposuction alone if your skin has adequate elasticity. If not, a more invasive procedure would be required to tighten your neck. Chin implant and liposuction (or a necklift) are frequently performed together. I hope this is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and neck lift

+1
The decision to place a chin implant can only be made after three-dimensional pictures or physical examination. A chin implant is inserted through sub mental approach to give added augmentation to the chin area when there is a recessive chin present. A neck lift involves removal of fat above and below the platysma muscle in addition to the platysma-plasty. This gives an excellent jawline definition. 

Defining your Chin

+1

Hi Sue,

From the photo you posted, it would appear that liposuction would be the primary treatment for defining your chin. There is no excess skin in the neck (forming hanging cords) so a neck lift would not be necessary. Sometimes a chin implant can help to further define the neck area. It is hard to tell from just a front view photo. A lateral or side view photo would be best for that purpose. Also, that decision is usually made after an examination. So, I would put that in the maybe category for now.

Best of luck

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

There a number if minimally invasive procedures to improve the jawline and neck

+1

To improve jowls, Ultherapy is an excellent tool to tighten along the jawline and under the chin without surgery. This can last up to 2 years or more. Filler such as Juvederm or Radiesse can also be placed in the hollow areas in front of the jowls to camouflage them. Fillers can also be used in place of a chin implant to give a subtle improvement to the profile without surgery. Filler lasts around 9 months to a year.

Surgery gets the best results, lasts the longest but of course has healing time and costs the most.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Options to treat neck and chin

+1

From your photo, I am unable to tell if you might be a candidate for a chin implant or not. A profile photo would be helpful to give you the best advice. It does appear that liposuction under your chin would improve the appearance of your neck though. I cannot determine, from you picture, if you might be a candidate for a neck lift or not. All of the procedures you mentioned would be invasive, but I would say the least invasive one would be liposuction.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon