What is the Minimal Hair Cut "Buzz" Size Needed to Cover a FUT Hair Transplant Scar?

I am contemplating getting hair replacement, but am concerned by the FUT scar (FUE is very expensive in my area). Currently, I have a "size-3" length haircut on the sides, and hand cut on the top. Is this long enough, or would I need it to be longer to hide the scar? (I hope not!)

Hair Transplant scar vs FUE like Neograft or Artas robot hair transplant

+1

This varies a lot from doctor to doctor and patient to patient.  Even with a good doctor a scar can be very visible or a bad doctor can get a good scar.  You may also want to look into other options that are less visible.  These options include the Neograft FUE approach and the Artas robot hair transplant which are more available now. 

Houston Dermatologist

Hair Length After FUT Surgery

+1

In my opinion, a #3 guard length will not adequately cover your linear scar. To be satisfied with this method of surgery, I would advise you to try a longer hairstyle. A longer hairstyle will be especially helpful in the long run, as these scars can stretch and widen over time.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair Transplant and Scar Visibility

+1

Unfortunately there is a great deal of variation in the scar after a hair transplant.  I have some patients whose hair is only half that length and the scar is not visible.  In others it may take a little more length to cover the scar. 

Jack Fisher, MD

Scar visibility after hair transplantation.

+1

If you are referring to the guard on the clippers, the #3 guard will hide your scar quite well.  With the trichophytic closure, we have seen excellent scars in the donor area.

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon