Will Massaging Address Lower Lid Droop or Just Make the Under Eye Creepy? (photo)

I'm 2.5 weeks post-op bleth, cheek implants, co2 laser, and mid-face touch up. My right eye is drooping and the massage prompted by my PS seems to just be making the under eye skin creepy. I've only been massaging for 5 days, 3x per day for 60 sec. with no improvement. The PS also has me on Lasik 2x per day to reduce swelling. I'm really worried that I'm doing more harm than good.

Pulling downward..

+1

Assuming that you mean the right lower eyelid appears to be "pulling downward", massaging is an appropriate first line of treatment. The full benefit of the CO2 laser will take several months to realize. I am concerned about the use of lasix which is a diuretic to reduce swelling unless there is an other aspect of your medical history which would justify this choice.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Massaging for lower lid droop

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo. Massaging the lower lid will definitely help with the droop and it usually correct it. It may take few weeks before you see the results. As for lasix; I have not used it for my patients. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Lower Eyelid Droop after Blepharoplasty

+1

You appear to have some mild lower eyelid retraction following your surgery.  This is usually due to some early swelling and scar contraction.  I agree with your plastic surgeon about doing lid massage.  I have no experience with using Lasix for the swelling.  Please make sure that you follow up with your surgeon.

Michael Sundine, MD

Be patient

+1

It is way to early after surgery for you to worry about asymmetry. There is significant swelling in the first two weeks after surgery, and sometimes even longer than that. Furthermore, surgical scar will evolve and soften over a period of months. I would not consider revision surgery on anyone until the 3 month post operative visit, and sometimes even longer than that. Scars can mature for up to a year after surgery. Please be patient with your body and let it heal.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower lid retraction and massage

+1

You have a slight retraction of the right lower eyelid, which has a good chance to improve by itself once acute healing phase is over.  Doing a light massage, which should involve some stretching of the eyelid starting from the middle and going around to the side and up, may slightly minimize the contracture and improve lid position. So, I suggest you can continue with it and allow more time for healing to take place.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Massage

+1

You have had a lot of surgery!  Therefore, proper massage techniques after surgery may be helpful to you.  Mild lower eyelid retraction can be improved with correct soft tissue manipulation.  So, please call your surgeon and review his or her specific recommendations for you.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massage after lower blepharoplasty

+1

It is not uncommon for there to be a mild degree of lower eyelid retraction early after surgery.  This will tend to get better with time, but I personally think massage is helpful.  In my opinion, the massage should be a steady gentle pressure directed in an upward and slightly outward direction enough that you will see the eyelid margin move upward.  Stay in touch with your surgeon and follow his advice, since he or she best knows the specifics of the surgical technique that was used.

John Q. Cook, MD

Massage and slight scleral show

+1

It sounds reasonable to recommend massage for mils ectropion and scleral show. It usally gets better with time. Follow closely with your surgeon. Good luck.

Lower lid retraction after Blepharoplasty

+1

In reviewing your pictures, given its only been 2 1/2 weeks after multiple procedures, you appear to be healing fine with only mild retraction which is likely to improve over the next 2 months. Mild sweeping, upward massaging will improve this contraction which is likely to improve with time as well. If localized edema is a concern, I'm not certain as to the role of a diuretic, in my patients with similar procedures I have found a short course of coticosteroid taper of benefit in resolving the inflammatory edema. Follow closely with your surgeon and be patient. Its too soon after surgery to worry about the mild retraction seen in the pictures.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

I agree with Dr. Kass that massage at this point may not help too much.

+1

Time may be just as good as the eyelid push ups at this point and yes it is possible to stretch the skin.  I also question the use of lasix for "lid swelling."