Will the Lower Half of my Nose Become Less "Fatty"? (photo)

I am now one week post primary "ethnic" rhinoplasty. The cast came off today. The upper half of the nose looks great to me (I had a prominent bridge/hump). But the lower half of the nose seems "fatter" to me than what I saw in the simulation photos and the tip too upturned. I've attached photos to this message (the smiling one is pre-surgery, the other three non-smiling are post-surgery). Can I expect the "fattiness" to subside and the tip to go down so that the nostrils face the floor?

Nasal swelling

+2

The fattiness you are describing is most likely swelling from the procedure.  Give it time to settle down.

Swelling with Rhinoplasty

+2

The answer is yes.  You are swollen, as you stated, you are one week post op.  It takes weeks for all the swelling to go down, expecially in thicker skin.  It helps to sleep elevated ( maybe on a wedge) to help reduce the swelling.  Stay in the upright position, such as taking walks daily.  This will help reduce swelling.  Be sure to follow up with your surgeon as he recommends.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Tip swelling after ethnic rhinoplasty

+2

The short answer to your question is yes the swelling in the tip is very normal after a rhinoplasty procedure. Typically, the tip which is the most dependent portion of your nose always swells after cast removal and typically takes two months to see a significant difference in narrowing especially with thicker skin. I would follow-up with your surgeon. Good luck.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will my nose be less fat?

+1

Yes. at one week you are quite swollen and not close to seeing the final result. In fact I also advise my patients that the splint they have initially provides some compression and sometimes the nose will swell more after it is removed. Be patient and reevaluate in 6-8 weeks.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Full tip after rhinoplasty

+1

It is way too early to evaluate the results, especially at the tip.  Give it a few weeks.....

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Too Early

+1

It can take a full year for all of the nasal swelling to go down. Relax and let yourself heal, cover your mirrors.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

This is probably swelling 1 week post-op. It could also be a slight pollybeak deformity in the tip. Only time will tell.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS