What is the Longevity of BA? Is it True That Within 10 Years After BA, One will Need a Revision or Replacement?

Hi, I see lots of stories of women getting BA done. Are there any who have had BA done 10 yrs ago and what was their experience over the yrs? Also from the docs, do they see their patients coming in for revisions or replacements, those who got their BA some yrs ago.

Breast implants can last a very long time

+1

All of us have patients who have had breast implants in 10 years and for some perhaps 20 years. If your are happy with your results there is no reason to revise your agumentation. Keep in mind eventually a saline implant will leak and need replacing, and gel implants have a leak rate of 9% at 10 years, and you will need to begin to think about them, MRI, replace, etc.

Breast augmentation longevity

+1

Breast implants can last a lifetime. The decision for revision or replacement is patient based. Obviously if an implant ruptures then the patient will want a replacement. If there is some asymmetry most patients will do nothing but some will decide to have additional surgery.  It has been my experience that the additional surgery rate has been low.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Longevity Of Breast Implants

+1

Many women who undergo breast augmentation never require revisional surgery.  I have been performing BAs for over 25 years and the majority of my patients have never had any revisional operations.  The most common indication, in my practice, for revision has been deflated saline implants.

John Whitt, MD

Breast implant longevity

+1
There is no easy answer to this question. I have patients who have had their original implants for over 20 years and others who request replacement less than 10 years postop. I am in total agreement with Dr. Pousti that if it isn't broke, don't fix it!!! Secondary surgery has risks so, if there are no issues, it is best to leave the implants alone. I see my "old" patients as often as they desire to make sure that their implants are intact and encourage them to continue to followup with me. We've become middle aged together!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Longevity of Breast Implants

+1

I have seen patients who have had breast implants in place for 20 years with no issues.  In my practice, I tell patients, "if it's not broke, don't try to fix it".  So if a patient has had surgery and is not having any issues such as capsular contracture, deflation, size issues, etc.., there is no need to exchange the breast implants.