What is the Longest Drain Tubes Can Be Kept in Post Op Tummy Tuck?

It's been 30 days post op tummy tuck and lipo, my abdominal were also tightened. I had two drain tubes and one was removed 2weeks after surgery. The magic number is 25 CC to be removed at least that's my Dr preference. Well I still have the left drain tube and the fluids are still 30cc it doesn't seem to be coming down. I do nearly any activity, I wear my garment as I should. If I allow this drain tube to be removed will I develop fluid pocket, & How long can I continue to have the drain tube?

Tummy tuck drain

+2

There is no rule book on drains, but the "magic number" of 25-30cc in 24hours is pretty well accepted. I may be inclined to remove the drain, maintain compression over the site and possibly limit activity for a few days, but your PS will have to make the call in your case. Best of luck.

Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Drains and issues

+2

The problem you have is a tough one. If you take the drain out too early, you may develop a seroma. If you leave it in too long you may get an infection.  Your doctor will have to  make the decision with you.

Drains in almost a month after tummy tuck

+2

Five days is about right for a drain if needed before it outstays its welcome. They can become a two way street and allow the fluid out, but bacteria and infection in. There is no magic number and low drainage is best, but after 30 days it might be best for the drain to go.

What is the Longest Drain Tubes Can Be Kept in

+1

The usual standard is 30 cc/day. But once we get out well beyond the normal 7 days or less there are no clear guidelines. At 30 cc I would take the remaining drain out. Yes, there is a chance of seroma development, but we are always balancing benefits and risks.

Thank you for your question, best wishes. 

Drains and TT

+1
Most patients get TT drains out in 7-10 days. I never leave a drain for more than 6 weeks. If your drain has been in place for two weeks then I might consider injecting doxycycline into the drain to scar down the pocket. Ask your PS and see what they suggest. Best of luck. Dr K

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS