What is the Best Lipo Technique when Removing Just a Small Amount of Excess Fat?

I'm 24 and only have a little excess fat on my chin but it's noticeable because I have a small chin. I might get a chin implant later but only if lipo alone doesn't give me the desired result. I have consulted 3 doctors. 2 said I could get some improvement but not enough and one of them said he could get great results because he uses a so-called Vibro-Lipomatic (PAL) device and it allows more detailed sculpting with such little excess fat. Can this be true? I'm booked for surgery but in doubt.

Lipo under local anesthesia best - no specific technique better

+2

There is no specific type of lipo instrument that has been definitively proven to be superior for removing small pockets of fat.  It is the skill of the surgeon that matters most, and whatever instrument is used whether it be laser, a mechanical device such as the one you mentioned, or just plain liposuction using microcannulas, it should be done under local anesthesia for safety and speed of recovery.

Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Chin liposuction

+2

For over 28 years of doing some form of facial and neck liposuction, I beleive there is no superiority of one instrument sysem over the others. It is the skill and judgement of the surgeon.

If you are considering the chin implant, why not have it done at the same time as the liposuction. It can always be removed. Computer imaging can tell you if you might want the effect of a chin implant.

Web reference: http://www.kabaker.com

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lipo va excision of neck fat

+1

Either liposuction of the neck or direct excision depending on the locaiton of the fat and the quality of your skin

Chin Liposuction - select your surgeon carefully

+1
In some cases, liposuction alone can significantly improve the neck appearance. Liposuction is also frequently combined with surgical neck rejuvenation, and in selected cases some direct excision of fat (through a hidden incision below the chin) is performed. The reduction of fat in the area below the jawline and in the anterior neck almost always makes the neck appear longer, and makes the patient's profile appear more elegant or refined.
Liposuction, as you may have heard in the popular media, is the most commonly performed surgical procedure each year in the United States. Here's a statistic that you may not have heard: the majority of physicians performing liposuction in the United States are not plastic surgeons; in fact, many do not have any formal surgical training whatsoever. It seems hard to believe, but many physicians performing liposuction have had no more training in liposuction than a 'weekend course'. One way to determine whether or not a physician has had appropriate training in a particular surgery is to confirm that they have hospital privileges for that procedure.
I fear that some practitioners view liposuction as a 'simple' surgery, since it does not involve making large incisions, and it requires little, if any, suturing. Nothing could be further from the truth. Liposuction, in my mind, is a very challenging operation that requires careful planning and preparation, and a great deal of care and finesse when it is actually performed. It requires a three-dimensional understanding of the layers of human anatomy, an understanding that is second nature to a surgeon alone. I think that it is often an inadequate understanding of anatomy (and, perhaps, of the body's response to surgery) which leads to the poor results in liposuction

Web reference: http://www.michaellaw.com

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

What is the best lipo technique when removing a small amount of fat?

+1

Photos or an exam would really be necessary to give you the best advice. In general, the combination of neck/jowl liposuction and a chin augmentation will yield the best result. Non-surgical alternatives may help a little, but will not give nearly as good of a result. From here, I would recommend a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience. He/she will be able to morph your photo using computer imaging software, and give you a great idea of how the final result may appear. Thank you, and please feel free to ask any additional questions. I would be happy to answer them for you!

Lipo Technique

+1

After 30 years in practice, I have not identified a specific typo of lipo instruments that provide a significantly superior result. Results are generally more dependent on the skill, judgment, and caring of the surgeon.

+1

It depends on what area of the body you wish to have your fat taken from.  As you most likely know, there are various methods for removing fat, and occasionally, if it’s just a very small area, I will use a small amount of tumescent solution and a syringe and special liposuction cannulas.  Some areas are best treated with surgical excision.  So again, it greatly depends on the area of the body and the amount of fat to be removed. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon