Which the Best Lipo Method with Smoothest Result For Butt and Thigh? Especially if There May Be Future Weight Gain?

I am in my thirties, never had childbirth. I am more worried about lumpiness in the future if I gain weight when pregnant. I wear dress size 4/6 (128 pounds), with very little muscle (do not exercise much), small frame, with some cellulite on thigh and butt. I I don't look fat when dressed. When undressed, sitting down, the two chunks of fat above hip, folds below bra, triple folds on abdominal area are pretty horrific - just like the "before photos" of an obese person before liposuction.

Lipo

+1
If you are planning to gain weight then you are really not a good candidate for any type of liposuction. Liposuction is a volume reducing procedure and works best for patients who are at or nesr their ideal weight.

Liposuction Against Future Weight Gain

+1

Dear Sandra,

Thank you for an important question.

Liposuction (SAL - Suction Assisted Lipectomy) could be your best choice as it will help you maintain the well defined shape as a result of the procedure even after a pregnancy. You can think of it as you have lost the fat cells for good and they will not be there to help you gain weight.

In case you were to have rough pregnancies in the future and your lipo results were somehow altered, a slight and simple revision will be the solution you will need to reinstate the original results.

The key is that you find the right surgeon for this type of procedures as you want a surgeon of extensive experience in that field who will help you achieve the best results possible; liposuction is a delicate procedure and when performed by a capable surgeon, results will be commendable.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian.

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Whcih lipo method is best?

+1

There is no best method. each device works well in the hands of an expert and each expert chooses the device that works best for him or her.  It's the job of the surgeon to choose the right device. You should focus on choosing the right surgeon. 

Dr Foster  

Lawrence Foster, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Tumescent liposuction has the best track record.

+1

Hi.

The improvement in shape (bulges gone) after liposuction is very long lasting, even if you gain weight.  We have seen this in a number of women who got pregnant after tumescent liposuction and gained weight, but the bulges did not come back.  And of course you will lose most of the weight afterwards.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuction can smooth out future lumps from weight gain.

+1

Liposuction is so safe if done under local anesthesia by a lipo expert that if you gain weight from pregnancies in the future then lipo can be done again to smooth out any lumps or bumps. Just be sure to go to a doc who doesn't do it under gen. anesthesia using the larger canulas and doing it "old school " as many board certified plastic surgeons still do. Also avoid the gimmicky laser and ultrasound lipos since they are having so many dimpling, puckering and discoloration problems. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Best lipo method

+1

Thank you for the question. Liposuction results are operator dependent rather than device dependent. Using fancy devices in the wrong hand can give very bad results. Therefore, I think you should start your search by looking a for a board certified plastic surgeon. Get a consultation and look at his/ her before and after photos. Then make your decision. You can get more than one consultation if that helps you. Good luck.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Liposuction

+1

128 pounds with a small frame does not sound like you are overweight or obese. The assessment of fat to be liposuctioned is made with you standing not sitting with the skin folded over itself. Any type of liposuction will not get rid of the cellulite you describe. The best lipo method is that employed by the most competent surgeon you find that you have good rapport with and like. It is the tennis player not just the racquet that wins a tennis match.

Gaining weight after a good liposuction result can have unpredictable effects. The excess fat may collect in other body areas or it may not. It depends on what percentage of the fat cells were removed by liposuction, how much weight you gain, your age at the time of the gain, how much you exercise as well as your sex and race.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Old School Suction Assisted Lipectomy (Liposuction) Works the Best

+1

There was a survey done recently of all plastic surgeons with reference to old school vs newer types of liposuction.  Turns out that 90% of all plastic surgeons do old school, Suction Assisted Lipectomy.  The other 10% were queried as to why they used ultrasound, laser, and other systems.  The majority answered "marketing, i.e. the public has been told that newer is better and that smart, slim, cool, whatever, will do a better job than the system that has worked very well since 1983.  

I believe Suction Assisted Lipectomy works very well in the hands of Board Certified Plastic Surgeons with experience in this area.  Being in your 30's, having not had any pregnancies, and being in good health means you should be a very good candidate for liposuction.  The one technique that is valuable to go along with standard liposuction is Tumescent.  Here the surgeon injects fluid under pressure in the area to be liposuctioned.  This increases the ease of suctioning, and also the pressure from the fluid drives blood out of your capillaries leading to less bruising, less swelling and quicker recovery.

The three areas you spoke of, abdomen, hips and that area under the bra which I refer to as the mid-back, are three great areas for standard Suction Assisted Lipectomy with Tumescent.  Lumpiness after weight gain would indicate to me incomplete liposuction at the first surgery, or the failure to break up organized swelling early after liposuction. 

To break up this organized swelling, in my practice and many other plastic surgeons' practices, we use post-operative ultrasound to bring blood supply to the healing liposuctioned area and allow settling of fat cells that were injured but not suctioned out, and an even, smooth post-operative result.

One last comment.  You talked about liposuction of the buttocks, but what I hear you saying is liposuction of the hips.  As a side note, liposuction of the buttocks proper is a potentially dangerous venture in someone in their 30's because if it doesn't shrink up perfectly, you can have hanging skin at the end.  The buttocks itself is one area that responds better to fat grafting rather than liposuction. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon