Is this the Lipo-Laser technique a gimmick or does it really work?

I recently was told I was not a candidate for cool sculpting by two different places as I don't have enough fat to suck into the machine. But I still want to get rid of what I can. There has been some talk of a place that uses "lipo laser" but there is no liposuction as I've read with every other place using lipo laser. Waste of money or are results like they claim possible?

Laser lipo

+1
Nonsurgical techniques that don't remove fat are typically not as effective as surgery that removes fat. Small areas of fat are ideally treated with liposuction--with or without laser.  Cool sculpting is not effective for all people. You might want to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

LASER LIPO

+1
If you own a machine it works, if you don't it is called a gimmick. The data is soft, it is always done in conjunction with regular lipo. I would not necessarily pick a technique as I would the PS.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Laser Lipo technique and results

+1
Laser lipo is a type of liposuction which first incorporates a laser probe to break up and liquefy the fat prior to liposuctioning.  Although it is possible to do the laser treatment without the liposuction,  in most cases, I would recommend doing the liposuction as well.  The liposutioning will remove the fat byproducts and blood that may remain.  This should help minimize bruising and swelling and help speed the healing process.  Best wishes, Dr Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Laser Lipo requires both "Laser" and " Lipo"

+1
I would also be skeptical about a "laser lipo" method which utilizes laser energy without any aspiration of fat.  In my view, in order to obtain a complete result from laser-assisted liposuction, both the micro-laser and aspiration with microcannulas should be used.

Good luck!

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser assisted liposuction works well if properly used

+1
Cool sculpting is not a laser technique but uses cooling to damage the fat cells beneath the skin.  This technique is also called Zeltique and is one of the very few externally applied non surgical fat removal techniques that works.

However the best Cool Sculpting technique result achieves only about 22% of the amount of fat that can be removed by liposuction.

If you only have a small amount of fat your skin may not have been able to stay inside the treatment head.

Laser assisted liposuction is a surgical procedure in which a laser fiber is inserted under the skin to melt the fat and then small tubes are used to remove the liquid fat. The benefit of the laser is that some skin tightening-about 20% also occurs.

Another non surgical method that works is Liposonix but again about 20% of fat removal that you will get with surgical liposuction.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS