Can Lines Go Away Permanently W/o Fillers But Just Botox? (photo)

I am 35 and I just got my first 22 units of botox in my glabellar muscles. However, even when I do not frown, I still have the 2 lines. If I continually use botox as soon as there is mobility in the muscles, could I ever permanently remove these lines w/ using fillers? Thank you

Deep glabellar lines between the eyebrows can improve with continued Botox or Dysport treatment

+1

Deep furrows or lines between the eyebrows are from chronic expressive frowning.  If the muscles are bulging when contracting, the furrows at rest are from years of strong muscle contraction.  Often, with continued use of Botox or Dysport, the muscle is not allowed to wake up, and the overlying furrows begin to fade. This can take several treaments over a year or more of treatment. Rarely, the furrows don't improve and the judicious conservative use of fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm could be used off-label to fill in the creases but there are risks that your doctor should discuss with you.

Botox and lines

+1

Botox relaxes movement and with time, the lines will improve and will certainly not worsen.  You have lost volume and have a deep crease on the left side.  Only filler will replace the volume, not Botox.  Once you have filler injected and then keep up with your Botox treatments, the filler may last for years.  Combining the 2 procedures will give you the best result.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox Combined With Fillers Is An Excellent Approach To Treating Expression Lines and Wrinkles

+1

There are two main components to the development of expression lines and wrinkles with the passage of time. The first, as the name implies, is the contribution of the underlying muscles of facial expression. The muscles of the forehead (worry lines), glabella scowl (frown) lines between the eyes and the periorbital crow's feet become somewhat hyperactive with time.

At the same time, the quality and quantity of our supportive and elastic fibers (collagen and elastin) decreases, which is the second big contributor to expression line wrinkles. The result: every time of the thousands of times in the course of the day we emote, the thinning skin overlying the expression muscles becomes more lined, creased and etched--much the same way a piece of paper shows the crease line after we fold it tightly. 

Therefore, for the best and longest lasting aesthetic results, we need to address both aspects of facial line and crease development. Botox, Dysport and Xeomin are neuromodulators and work by decreasing the overactivity of the muscles of facial expression. Once this is done, the remaining "eleven lines" between the eyes, or worry lines across the forehead, etc. can be raised and smoothed by injecting microdroplets of a smooth filler material, such as Juvederm Ultra XC, directly under the etched lines along their entire length.

The effects of the combining these approaches (which I often recommend be done at the same treatment session just to save time) tend to be synergistic and more gratifying than treatment with each approach alone. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Can Lines Go Away Permanently W/o Fillers But Just Botox?

+1

Botox and Dysport soften unwanted lines and wrinkles but offer temporary results.  IMHO, with repeated injections, the muscles that cause the unwanted lines and wrinkles get weaker and weaker making the lines less noticeable but the results will never be permanent.  

Lines that don't go away with Botox

+1

Because Botox works on lines by relaxing muscles it is most effective for what we term are dynamic line (lines as a result of muscle contraction).  Static lines are those that are present even when the muscles are relaxed.  For those patients who have static lines it is sometimes necessary to inject some filler 1-2 weeks after Botox to smooth those lines out.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

+1

In some cases additional filler injection + Botox is needed. You may be one of these cases. Return to your injecting doctor. 

Botox plus fillers for the glabellar area

+1

In my experience, superficial lines at rest in the glabellar area will disappear over time if you keep the area tightly controlled with frequent Botox or Dysport injections at appropriate doses. This typically means injecting the area every three to four months to keep the muscles as quiet as possible. I typically reserve the combination of Botox or Dysport with filler injections for deeper lines or for someone who is in a hurry for the lines to disappear for a special event.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Filler in the glabella

+1

Unfortunately, Botox and Dysport will not provide volume. As other panel members have mentioned, you may require filler to this area to provide the results you desire.  I recommend you follow up with the practitioner who did your treatment and discuss a treatment plan for you. 

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Are Botox and fillers need for Glabella lines?

+1

Botox and Dysport relax muscles and help improve DYNAMIC lines. Most STATIC lines remain after neurotoxin injections. In oder to best "plump" and improve this area, a small amount of filler (Juvederm or Restylane) could be necessary,

In my practice, I prefer to inject the glabella area with Botox or Dysport and then see the patient two weeks later to evaluate and then consider filler injection. This is the safest and most effect way to treat this area.

Hope this helped. good luck.

Sean T. Doherty, MD, FACS

Can Botox make lines disappear?

+1

When you make facial expressions, the muscles in that area are "working out" and the more they work out, the more toned they get.  Unfortunately, muscle tone on the face = wrinkles.  Botox relaxes the muscles so they don't work out anymore.  However, the "tone" doesn't go away immediately, just as your muscle tone doesn't go away after skipping the gym for one month.  If you stop going to the gym for a year, your muscle tone will probably be all gone.  Similarly, with Botox, if you are consistent in getting it every 3 months, and keep those glabellar muscles relaxed the whole time, there is a chance the lines would go away without the use of fillers.  However, for a more immediate result, you would need filler, chemical peel, or laser in the area.

Peterson Pierre, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist