What is the Likelihood of Repeated Capsular Contracture with Implant Replacement and Position?

I developed Baker Grade IV capsular contracture within a year of getting silicone implants above my muscle. Years later my ps replaced them with saline and within a year or so I had Baker Grade IV again. A different ps now suggests that I undergo revision surgery to remove my scar tissue and implants then replace with saline but this time below my muscle. Given my history, isn't it more likely than not for me to develop capsular contracture even with a submuscular placement?

Rate of recurrent capsular contracture

+1

Your question is very complicated.  Capsular contracture is not always preventable.  It can occur due to an infection, radiation, hematoma or just the way and individual heals.  Capsular contracture can be minimized from the surgeon's side by placing the implant underneath the muscle. This may be a prudent way to go given that placing the implant above the muscle is known to have a higher rate of capsular contracture. Some surgeons advocate breast massage as away to keep an implant mobile in a capsular pocket. Its effects on capsular contracture are debatable and unknown. The rate of return depends on the reason the capsular contraction first occurred.  Also, if the capsule was removed, scored or partially removed is also important to know to make a reasonable assessment. Truly because of the complexity, you should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is comfortable with complicated revisions of the breast.

What to do for repeat capsular contracture

+1

Repeat capsular contracture may require a different implant algorithm that includes removal of the entire capsule and replacment of the breast implant.  There are available options for treatment, however. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Repeated capsules

+1

If you have had repeated capsules, it may be a good idea to try new implants, and place strattice inside as well. It is thought that the strattice may decrease the risk of capsule formation.

+1

Yes. The more you've had, the more likely that you will get another after surgery. Speak to your surgeon about using an ADM--acellular dermal matrix, such as strattice for any additional surgery.

This seems to have a significantly lower recurrence rate in terms of capsular contracture than the other techniques. It is pricey though, but not if you compare with repeated unsuccessful surgeries.

Thanks, and best wishes.