What is the Likelihood of Permanent Hair Loss From: A) Endoscopic Brow Lift and B) Tricophytic Brow Lift?

Im a female considering a brow lift to fix forehead wrinkles and eyebrow assymetry, but Im worried about the chance of permanent hair loss. Hairline is made up of baby hairs & something resembling a receding hairline (except instead of bald patches they are patches of short baby hairs) that have been this way for entire life. If I lose any more hair at hairline, I'd be devastated since I don't have much as is. Whats the chance of permanent hair loss from a) endoscopic lift & b) tricophytic lift?

High Hairlines Best Treated with Trichophytic Modification of the Browlift

+2

If your hairline is high, lowering it is often in your best interests to make you look more youthful. Using the trichophytic approach, the brows are subtly elevated and excess skin is removed to bring the hairline forward (lowering it).  An endoscopic brow lift likely will not cause hair loss, but can create the unacceptable situation of raising your hairline a bit.  This might be fine in individuals with short foreheads, but inappropriate for women with tall foreheads.   

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss should not occur

+2

There should be no hairloss associated with trichophytic browlift. If fact, if done properly, it can improve the hairline position.

Endoscopic browlift should not create hairloss either, as long as not too much tension is placed on the skin flap during the surgery.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

The Irregular Trichophytic Forehead Lift has the lowest chance of hair loss vs. endoscopic forehead lift.

+2

My associate and I invented the Irregular Trichophytic Forehead Lift and this does not cause any permanent hair loss if done properly. Endoscopic forehead lifts actually have a higher incidence of hair loss and less of a forehead lift. In addition I can lower the hairline if needed at the same time.

Harline concerns with browlift

+2

With a trichophytic hairline incision approach you can have your hairline actually lowered with additional maneuvers. It may be possible to also remove the baby hairs and have stronger hairs brought forward to be at your new hairline. An endoscopic approach will likely preserve all hairs but can result in a raised hairline. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss concern after brow lift

+1

It is possible to get hair loss right in the area of an endoscopic brow lift. But, the trychophytic brow lift is more likely to cause hair loss because the incision is larger and made right in the brow. Endoscopic incisions are very small so they don’t really cause a lot of hair loss.  Although, any brow lift can raise the forehead line and make the forehead appear larger.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chance of hairloss with forehead lift

+1

A brow lift performed in front of the hairline will not raise your hairline but rather will lower it to some degree. An endoscopic lift will not result in hair loss at the anterior hairline but may raise your hairline slightly. Your other concern was brow asymmetry and unfortunately neither approach is likely to improve your symmetry. You may have a better chance with a direct brow lift but discuss the pros and cons with your surgeon.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon