What is the Likelihood of Getting a Keloid from Earlobe Piercing?

I am a 17 year old African American male. I've wanted to get my ears pierced for a while but have always been afraid of a keloid appearing. No one in my family has any keloid scarring and I have 2nd and 3rd degree burns that didn't result in keloids from when I was 3 years old

+1

Keloids, as you alude to, are more common in people with darker skin types. Given that you've had burns and injuries that did not keloid, the risk is relatively low. However, there is no way to totally rule out keloid formation after piercing. If you do have your ears pierced and notice a large scar tissue response, consult immediately with a plastic surgeon or dermatologist. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/scar-treatments/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon