What is the Latest in Laser Liposuction? Is There One Better Than the Other? (photo)

Latest Laser Liposuction-SlimLipo Has Many Advantages

+2

Thank you for your question. I agree the skill of your surgeon is the most important factor.

Without an understanding of Laser Physics it is hard to demonstrate the significant differences between the various machines.

However, the SlimLipo is the only Laser Liposuction machine that uses a wavelength which specifically targets fat.

See the link and video below for explanation.

Laser Liposuction Maybe More Hype than Benefit over Traditional Lipocustion

+1

Benefits of Laser-Assisted Liposuction in my opinion are more theoretical than real.

The primary benefit of laser-assisted liposuction is that the recovery period has been touted as  less painful, and you may experience less swelling and bruising. I have not seen any difference. The theory is that because the laser used to disrupt the fat cells it causes less trauma to your tissues than mechanical removal—but the surgeon still does have to get under the skin and remove the fat. It generally takes me longer to use laser assisted liposuction and there is the danger of heat generation and a  burn complication.

Laser-assisted liposuction has not been demonstrated to produce better results than tumescent ("traditional") liposuction.

The #1 consideration—for both pain & swelling and your ultimate result—is your choice of surgeon. A skilled, experienced surgeon will give you the best surgical outcome with minimized pain and recovery time. I suggest looking up surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Latest in Laser Liposuction

+1

The GPS Lipo-Lipocontrol laser by Osyris Medical is the latest and best liposuction device.  It uses a GPS camera and a unique fat mapping device to monitor the location of the fat and the application of laser energy. This results in more even distribution of laser energy and more smoothness of final results for the patient.

Stanley Castor, MD

Latest in laser liposuction machines and surgical results

+1

There are a number of medical equipment manufacturers that make and market power equipment to assist in liposuction.  These include laser machines (Smartlipo, Slimlipo, etc), ultrasound machines (Vaser lipo, etc.) and other types of power assisted liposuction machines. Each and everyone of these machines has its advantages and disadvantages and none can honesty claim to be the ultimate liposuction device.  This issue has been discussed at length at the last two annual meeting of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) held in Boston in 2011 and Vancouver, BC in 2012.  At both of these meeting the majority of board certified plastic surgeons agreed that the results of a surgical procedure, including liposuction, were much more dependent on the skills and experience of the surgeon and NOT on the brand or type of equipment he/she used.   Beware of claims to the contrary.   

From your photo you may be a better candidate for a tummy tuck or tummy tuck with liposuction than with a liposuction alone.   Best wishes. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

+1

The Smart Lipo Triplex unit on blend 3 using 1064 and 1440 wavelength is the latest in my opinion. Seek in person evaluations. 

Laser liposuction

+1

its the surgeon that matters not the means of the procedure. nothing can replace an expert surgeon's hand. with that said, its best to consult with your surgeon whether a certain kind of liposuction or a tummy tuck would be your better choice

Misbah Khan, MD

The Skill of the Surgeon is BY FAR is the Most Important Factor When It Comes to Liposuction, Laser or Otherwise

+1

Dear Suzy4527,

Thank you for your sharing your photo and questions.

1. Judging from your photo, you may be a better candidate for a tummy tuck combined with liposuction rather than liposuction alone because you have a significant amount of extra skin. If you are not concerned about having loose, sagging, extra skin and are simply interested in debulking your midsection, then liposuction alone may be appropriate.

2. I would be certain to see an experienced provider (ie. Board Certified Plastic Surgeon) who performs both liposuction and tummy tucks for an evaluation. Be wary of the opinions of people who perform liposuction alone, as they will try to "sell" to you that their "laser" will "tighten" your loose skin, when in fact you are being misled. When all you have is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail.  

3. When it comes to performing liposuction, the SKILL and EXPERIENCE of the surgeon performing the liposuction is BY FAR the most important factor to consider. A good surgeon can produce excellent results with the right tools, including traditional liposuction, tumescent liposuction, laser liposuction, ultrasonic liposuction, etc. Personally, I prefer to perform laser liposuction as I believe it helps with skin tightening and recovery.

4. With regard to the latest in laser liposuction, ProLipo (Sciton) and SmartLipo (Cynosure) are both state-of-the-art technologies. Even more important than the machine itself, however, is who is using it and how.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

What is the Latest in #LaserLiposuction? Is There One Better Than the Other? (photo) ANS:

+1

I agree that SlimLipo seems to be state of the art at the present time and I do use it frequently and I think is does hold some advantage in the notorious hard place to get smooth, like the tummy and inner thigh. BUT, from your picture I'm not sure you are the best candidate for it, unless you really just want to reduce the some tummy volume and are not so concerned about the loose skin...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo is the leader in laser liposuction

+1
Smartlipo is the industry standard in laser liposuction. There are other machines made by competitors but Smartlipo dominates the market. Laser liposuction has it's place but I notice from your photo that you have quite a bit of extra skin on your tummy. You may be a better candidate for tummy tuck or so combination of the two. Consult with a plastic surgeon who does that too, not just Smartlipo.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon