What is the best laser treatment for wrinkles in the nasolabial fold area at age 25?

I am only 25 and have always taken excellent care of my skin. I always wear sunscreen, never tan, wear a hat, use Retinol products, and have had multiple TCA 25% peels but cannot get rid of wrinkles on one side of my mouth. The only thing I can attribute this wrinkle too is yo-yo dieting or years of acne. It really bothers me, and I would love to have it treated with a laser if possible. I do not want fillers or injections. It is only visible when I smile.

Smile lines are difficult to treat

+1
Because your smile lines are areas of muscle attachment they cannot be treated with the usual muscle relaxant Botox because this would deformity her mouth.

Because they're caused by repeated smiling they will continue to occur as you age.

Non-ablative fractional erbium laser resurfacing is a good collagen building procedure for the entire face and may help prevent additional wrinkles and other areas as you age.

Mouth Wrinkles

+1
Hi A08.  Even though you are not interested in fillers, they are likely the only thing that's going to help.  It's your facial anatomy rather than anything you have done that's causing the lines.  Laser treatments will not help as you need some additional volume to fill the lines.  

Restylane, Perlane and Radiesse are all good options.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Lines in the nasolabial fold

+1
The lines that you are showing in the picture that occur when you smile are what we would call dynamic lines (those caused by the movement of muscles that disappear at rest).  I do not think that there is a laser that would treat those.  As you are just 25 years old skin tightening would not be effective (your skin is already tight).  I would probably recommend leaving it alone but there is a chance that a filler would soften it even though you said that you were not interested in it.  Fillers are generally far safer than laser treatments.  Good luck.

Seth Kates, MD
Worcester Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Treatment for Smile Lines

+1
Dear anonymous08~

Thank you for sharing your photo. I assume you are talking about the lines just inside your nasolabial fold on the left side. (Between the left corner of your lip and your nasolabial fold on that side). Those lines are from the muscles that you use to smile and their attachments to the skin in that area. It is a difficult area to treat and unfortunately there is not a lot you can do about them. If you have faint lines that are present at rest (not smiling), then a peel or a laser such as Fraxel may be beneficial, but this will not completely get rid of the lines that form when you smile.

Amy Hsu

Amy K Hsu, MD