Is the Laser They Use in SmartLipo to Liquefy Fat Harmful to Health?

What problems are there with the liquefied fat from SmartLipo, what side effects might someone experience? Can fat become infected?

Smartlipo

+1

Smartlipo in and of itself I do not know of any studies suggest it is dangerou. However complications can arise and it probably has a higher rate of burns, seromas, and numbness than standard tumescent techniques.

Smart Lipo Safety

+1

SmartLipo is an extremely safe procedure. The SmartLipo procedure was approved by the FDA in November of 2006, and a serious life-threatening complication has never resulted from SmartLipo. That is because SmartLipo is performed under local anesthetic, not the much more risky general anesthesia. SmartLipo has been performed thousands of times since being brought to North America in 2005 and has shown itself to be one of the safest cosmetic surgeries available.

The SmartLipo lasers have built in safety features, such as Smartsense that avoids burns to the skin. There is a theoretical risk of the laser to the eyes if eye protection is not warn, but I am not aware of any incidents of this complicaiton ever occurring. The laser does liquefy fat, but most of this fat is suctioned out afterwards, so the fact that it is liquefied does not seem to pose any risk. Cynosure claims that Smartlipo is actually safer that traditional liposuction without a laser, but there is not a great deal of scientific evidence to verify this.

My personal opinion is that there is little difference in saftey between Smartlipo and standard tumescent liposuction. There may be a slight improvement in the skin tone with the addition of a laser and there is a sight risk of a skin burn.

Temp Patterson, MD
Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon