What is the Best Laser for Thick Black Hair and Light, Sensitive Skin? I Am of Japanese Decent.

More specifically, I am looking into laser options for my legs and bikini area. My hair tends to grow very quickly after shaving and I have resorted to tweezing since waxing does not often pull all of my hair out. I have very decent tolerance against pain although I find that my hair is very stubborn. Thank you for your help.

Laser Treatment for Thick Hair

+1

Thank you for your question. Your hair is one of the easier hairs type to remove.  Since you are ethnic skin, my first choice is the 1064 YAG by Candela, then Cynosure.  Next would be a diode laser which is also effective, but not quite as good on the fine hair.  The best laser in my opinion is the Gentlemax by Candela, now partnered with Syneron.  A diode laser will work too, but I tend to see more fine hair not removed. you should not tweeze or wax during your laser treatments as it removes the hair target needed for the laser to work.  Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with expertise in laser surgery and ethnic skin for the most effective and safe treatments. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Best Laser Hair Removal Treatment

+1

A wide variety of medical lasers and light systems are used to remove unwanted hair, however most lasers are not effective for all skin types and hair colors. The laser I recommend and use is the Elos laser hair removal system, which is designed for permanent hair reduction by combining both optical and radiofrequency energy to deliver satisfying, longer lasting results with less discomfort than previous laser systems. All skin and all hair colors including gray and blonde hair are effectively treated. Faces, backs, arms, legs, faces, and bikini lines can be treated including those individuals with darkly pigmented skin. Treatments are administered every 4 weeks and generally 3 to 5 treatments are sufficient.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Light Sheer Diode Laser

+1

The light sheer diode laser will work very well on Type 3 or Type 4 skin, which most Asians fall under.  You will require a average of 6-8 sessions for the best results.  You can also request for a test patch to determine the appropriate laser settings. 

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Lightsheer Laser for Japanese Skin Hair Removal

+1

Hi Linda.  We are also located in Torrance and have lots of Japanese patients.  We use the Lumenis Lightsheer and get excellent results.

The Lightsheer is the most common laser hair removal device in the world for a reason - it delivers results.  For coarse dark hair, we see between 75% - 95% permanent hair loss after 6 - 8 treatments for Caucasians, Asians and Hispanics.

If you would like to schedule a free consultation, you can click on the link below to contact us.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD