What is the Best Laser for Tattoo Removal on black ink and color ink?

Hi, I'm considering tattoo removal but what is the best laser to be used on black ink? For colors should you use another laser? I want to know this information so I can ensure the doctor has the best laser for my treatment. Thanks so much!

The best laser that is used to remove a tattoo...

+1

It is very important for tattoo removal to have a laser that is specially designed for that purpose.  This is usually the Q-switched laser - either the Nd:YAG or the Alexandrite.  We use the Nd:YAG laser and it is very effective for black/dark blue and red ink.  Multiple colors like green and sky blue can be more difficult to remove, but the Nd:YAG laser has special laser heads to try and treat those colors most effectively.  Hopefully you can confirm these points with your treating doctor to ensure that you are getting the best treatment possible.

Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Laser for Tattoos

+1

The type of laser is determined by the colors in your tattoo. The 2 most common lasers, the q-switched Nd:YAG and Alexandrite handle almost all the colors we encounter. Blacks, blues and reds are the "easiest" colors to deal with. Greens, oranges and yellows are much harder to get out, and fancy colors are near impossible, as they are mixtures of other colors. Just like everything else in cosmetic surgery, reasonable expectations are the important factor. There is a new technique called the R20, where the tattoo is treated 4 times in one session with 20m intervals. It is said to significantly accelerate resolution. It is too new to bank on, however.

Barry Resnik, MD
Miami Dermatologist