What is the Largest Implant I Can Get for Breast Width?

Hello, I'm 5'1'' and 105-110lbs. I'm currently a 32A/B with a ribcage of 26.5". I am aiming to get multiple surgeries to get a very large implant in the 600-700cc range. A surgeon suggested I start with a 450cc implant and increase it over time. My breast width is about 13.4cm. What is the largest implant (style and cc) I can get based on my breast width? I was thinking of the 700cc for Natrelle™ Style 45 - Full/High Profile Catalog number 45-700. Thank you!

Implant Selection Process

+1

Thank you for providing your base width.  This is a very important measurement, but there are several other measurements which are important to factor in also.

Generally speaking,larger implants increase the risk of complications such as implant malposition, which can be very difficult to correct longterm.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Fitting large implants

+1

At 5'1" and 105 lbs I would recommend careful remeasuring of your breast width.  I can pretty much assure you that it is not 13.4cm and is likely not wider than 10-11cm. There are other tissue characteristics/ considerations that are used to determine the best implant for you. 

If you are sure about the 13.4cm, then the style 45 Allergan 650cc or 700cc can fit.  If there are any concerns then use a smaller implant and agree with your surgeon as to when you can exchange for a larger implant.   Be conservative.  With your frame size, anything over 300cc will produce excellent results.  Best Wishes!!

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Breast implant volume and the desired look

+1

I strongly caution women whose goal is a certain volume of breast implants rather than a desired look.  By focusing on the specific number of cc's you can under or overshoot your goal.  For example, 600cc can be a G cup in a petite woman or barely visible in someone larger.  Instead of asking for a certain size of implants you should bring example photos of breasts that you want yours to look like with you when you see your plastic surgeon.  That way he or she will know what your goals are and can discuss with you how to achieve that look based on their professional judgment and your individual breasts and specific body type.  

-------

Based on a breast width of 13.5 cm the largest Natrelle Style implant with a base diameter that wide is a Style 45-700.  This however doesn't take into account your other breast tissue parameters.  It also is a silicone gel implant which may limit your incisions to only through the infra-mammary (under the breast) fold.   A gel implant that big would require an incision around the nipple that may be too large and may distort the areola or compromise its blood and nerve supply.   Placing an implant that big though the armpit will also require a long incision that may be obvious and has a high risk of malposition.  

A large saline implant can be placed though small incisions on or off the breasts.  A saline sizer can also be used to expand the breasts intraoperatively to evaluate how big an implant your breasts could accommodate in one surgery.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant selection

+1

Uusally starting our with the base width of the breast is a good idea. One also has to take inot account the amount of breast tissue starting out with, the stretch of the skin, among other things.  An in office exam would be critical.

There are dangers of going to big with breast implants

+1

Things to help determine the largest implant size you can accommodate include the base diameter, tissue quality, and tissue stretch. Only your plastic surgeon can analyze these factors.  The plan of a staged approach using increasing size of implatns in order to achieve your "goal" is reasonable.  The bigger issue is whether you understand the implications of going so big.  Breast implants put pressure ont eh body from the inside. This can cause atrophy of the breast tissue you have and can make your breasts very thin and make implant visibility a problem over time. Also, the pressure on the ribs can cause distortion and curvature of the ribcage.  The larger the implant, the more chance of these ocurring. Also, the weight of the implant will stretch the skin. This may increase the chance of needing a breast lift in the future. A breast lift will 100% be needed if you decide to decrease your implant size later in life.  Be cautious here, because the large implant can cause changes in your body that are irreversible.  Many board certified plastic surgeons will not perform such large augmenations because they understand the harm it can do.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Expanding the breast for the max from breast implants

+1

If you are indeed small and a committed to a 700cc max projection breast implant, and know that two procedures will be needed, your surgeon should consider a tissue expander as the first step. A round smooth expander in the breast pocket can be filled out gradually over several weeks or longer as the breast will allow, and is less expensive than an implant. Be careful what you ask for.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Limitations on Breast Implant Size will depend on many variables...

+1

Hi there-

There are several very important considerations here....

First of all, it is very important for you to understand the long term implications of your decisions... The larger the eventual implants are, the more your skin and tissues have been stretched (and will be stretched by gravity and the weight of the implants over time).

This will almost always mean that as you age, the chances of you having problems requiring more procedures over the course of your life in order to maintain your attractive and comfortable appearance will be much higher than if your goal and procedure involved implants of a more reasonable volume. This, in fact, is why many of us have patients like yourself (who want very large breasts) sign an extra consent form indicating your understanding of these issues. 

I would think about this very carefully.

The second thing to understand is that the size of the implant placed at the time of your first surgery will depend on several variables which are not possible to understand until the time of surgery- things like the thickness and elasticity of your tissues and skin, and how they respond to the stretching force of the implant.

If you were my sister, wife, or mother, I would strongly caution you about very large implants. If you were still committed to this appearance, I would advise you to take a gradual and careful approach, with a reasonable initial implant, followed by increases in size over time to your goal.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast implant size?

+1

Thanks for the question.  It sounds like you are doing some serious research prior to your surgery.

Unfortunately, there are many other  Important factors besides breast width that determine the maximum/safe breast implant volume that can be used for a specific patient. Some food for thought...

The final appearance of the breasts after breast augmentation may be related to several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.  I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
  Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.