What Are the Key Areas of Specialization and Experience for a Nose Surgeon to Have?

How much experience would a surgeon have to be considered an expert in the field of rhinoplasty?

Choose the plastic surgeon that is the best for you

+1

Thank you for the question.  The desire to choose the "best" plastic surgeon is understandable and the more successful cases that that surgeon has performed the more experienced and the closer to the "best" category they become.  With that said, it may be better to consider who is the best plastic surgeon for you.  I recommend several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons.  Consider the photos that they are showing you as well as their experience and their rapport with you during the consultation.

Dr. Remus Repta

Key areas in specialization & experience for nose surgeon

+1

An expert rhinoplasty surgeon has performed well in excess of 1000 successful rhinoplasties.  A large percentage of the surgeon’s practice will be devoted to rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty.  It is important to look for someone who understands the functional component of the nose, such as a surgeon with an ear, nose, and throat background.

Surgical Experience

+1

In my opinion at least 5-10 years of surgical experience after residency. I would also say a minimum of 300-500 rhinoplasty cases a year.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Three factors make a nose surgeon: super-specialization, long experience, and a great esthetic sense.

+1

Hello;

Historically, the most accomplished nasal cosmetic surgeons are those who limit their practice almost exclusively to nasal surgery.  That is very important. 

Secondly, it takes many, many years before a surgeon develops his abilities to the peak of his potential.  Today, with more and more surgeons performing the operation, it is actually harder to find somebody who has a large volume of experience, but those surgeons are out there. 

Further, some surgeons are great technically - they have great hands - but somehow, their results are not natural or esthetically pleasing.  For that reason, you need to very carefully evaluate the doctors' "before-and-after rhinoplasty photos"  you plan on seeing.  Examine those photos very carefully.  If they look natural, and you think you would be happy with that kind of result, you are probably in the right shop. 

Finally, look for surgeons who, as an important part of their bio or resume, have served a fellowship in facial cosmetic surgery. 

Fellowships are "finishing schools" for all major specialties.  In cosmetic surgery, it is very important because, often, some of the residency programs stress reconstructive surgery, but not necessarily the cosmetic surgery training to make people look better

Remember that rhinoplasty is technically the most complex and challenging of all the cosmetic procedures.  Choose wisely.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Robert Kotler, MD

Expert in Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

The obvious answer is to pick a surgeon who is board certified and specializes in rhinoplasty surgery. However it is more difficult than that. Experience is important, but just because somebody has done a lot of procedures does not mean they have done them well. The best way to find a surgeon, after verifying proper training, is to look at many of their results, especially nose like yours.

What makes a rhinoplasty expert?

+1

I think expertise would be a better term then expert. "Experts" who teach and publish will often present how they developed a certain technique because of all the bad outcomes they had and observed with initial techniques used. This illustrates the principle that good rhinoplasty surgeons are always learning and evolving. Every good rhinoplasty expert develops expertise over time. It starts with training and certification, then interest in doing the procedure regularly and the buildup of a wide body of work to draw experience from. Look for lots of before and after photos and results whose aesthetic is one you like.  

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose

+1

To keep for beimng an ad for myself, nose is the middle name in anyone treained in ent surgery. However, beauty is also part of the equation and you must find an experienced surgeon who is on the same page as you are. In Portland, i suggest Dr Ted Cook.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Expert in the field of rhinoplasty

+1
Expertise is very important in rhinoplasty surgery. While many surgeons may be qualified due to their board specialities rhinoplasty is a procedure that takes many years of experience and a good aesthetic judgement and understanding of the nasal anatomy. I have been performing rhinoplasty surgery for over 25 years and each patients nasal anatomy is different as well as their facial structures. A good surgeon will keep all of this in mind and do the procedure in accordance to each specified patients proportions to allow a natural appearance and not the look of a "done" nose or a "cookie cutter" nose. A nose should fit the face properly and look like you were born with a beautiful nose. I suggest looking at the before and after photos of each consulting surgeon and see how the results look as well as speaking to the consulting surgeons patients. A good rhinoplasty surgeon will have several rhinoplasty rechecks daily and they should be happy to discuss their experience results etc..best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Best Rhinoplasty surgeon is the one who does noses you like.

+1

surgeon is the one who does noses you like. He should have a great deal of experience with different types of noses and good aesthetic judgement. However, if he has these and does unattractive noses then all of that is for naught. 

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and IMHO the most important factor for a Rhinoplasty Surgeon, to have, is impeccable aesthetic judgement.  This is not taught during any plastic and cosmetic surgery or Rhinoplasty training, IMO but is essential in order to know what to do to make the nose, face or body more attractive in a natural and reliable manner.

Training and experience, in a Rhinoplasty Surgeon is a given however, experience that follows the wrong aesthetic plan will fail to make the nose more attractive IMO.  IMHO, a lack of aesthetic judgement is the number one complication of Rhinoplasty and all plastic and cosmetic surgery procedures.