Should I Ask the Insurance if They Will Cover my Breast Reduction?

I wear a size 34DDD & weigh 120lbs. I am in the process of finding insurance. Should I ask the insurance if they will cover my breast reduction??

Insurance coverage

+1

Every insurance plan has their own unique criteria on whether they will cover a breast reduction.  More and more, we are seeing plans where a breast reduction is not a covered benefit.  If it is a covered benefit, some insurance plans set a minimum required amount of tissue to be remove in order to met their threshold for coverage.  Some set the amount in relation to your BMI (height and weight).  Others require extensive medical records documenting neck pain, back pain, and history of rashes.   The other alternative is to opt for a breast reduction as a self-pay option.   Start by visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Breast Reduction Thru Insurance

+1

Each insurance company is different with what they require to "authorize" the breast reduction surgery through insurance.  I write a letter and send photos of the patient when trying to get authorization (I am sure most plastic surgeons do this as well).  Also getting supporting letters from other doctors who can document that you have had neck, back and shoulder pain and/or rashes due to the large breasts. Supporting documentation is usually very helpful.

It is quite difficult to get insurance companies to pay for surgery, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastReduction.htm

Insurance coverage for breast reduction?

+1

Don't waste your time. In the first place it's a pre-existing problem and will be excluded on that basis. In the second place insurance companies have been allowed to defraud their policy holders for many years now and they aren't going to change voluntarily. There are Board Certified Plastic Surgeons with prior payment programs. Make your monthly "premium payments" to one of them and have the surgery when paid in full. At my practice the total cost for a Reduction Mammoplasty is $7172.    Dr Foster

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

You will probably get insurance coverage for breast reduction.

+1

80% of breast reduction questions on RealSelf are about insurance coverage. Here are some helpful points.

1)  Insurance companies try very hard not to pay for breast reduction, even though they should. Even small breast reductions relieve many symptoms such as back pain and shoulder pain, and even some types of headaches.

2)  Very big reductions (like from an F cup to a C cup) will usually be covered.

3)  Many policies will pay for breast reduction if 500 grams (a little more than a pound) or more are removed from each breast.

4)  Some policies take your height and weight into account. So that if you are tiny, smaller reductions will be covered. Find out the details of your policy.

5)  DON'T get too much of a reduction just to satisfy the insurance company. You will be unhappy with tiny breasts.

6)  Your surgeon needs to request pre-certification IN WRITING, and attach as much evidence as possible.

7)  Evidence includes letters from your internist, orthopedic surgeon, and/or chiropractor stating that breast reduction will relieve your symptoms.

8)  Some companies require that you try "alternative treatments" such as weight loss and physical therapy first.

9)  Don't give up. If the first request is denied, demand an appeal.

10)  If there is no insurance, and you cannot afford to pay a private surgeon, go to the plastic surgery clinic of a teaching hospital. There, residents do the surgery under supervision, and the cost is minimal. In New York City, we train residents and fellows at Lenox Hill Hospital, and they do good work.

Insurance and Breast Reduction

+1

It never hurts to ask!  I would suggest talking with your local doctor and the insurance company.

Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.Shafer PlasticSurgery.com