What Are the Instructions for TT and Breast Aug/ Lift Wound Care After Surgery?

Does the the dr only clean my insicions and bandage or do I? And if so what do I do? I haven't had my pre op so I haven't gotten to ask him this.

+4

This is a question best answered by your plastic surgeon. Each PS has their specific requirements for post-op care.

Generally, the breast surgery will require dressing changes at least daily after the first few days. Then your PS may give you breast massages to perform to help reduced the encapsulation phenominon (implants getting firm and round).

The tummy tuck is a different matter and requires much more post op care. You will have drains that may stay in for several days, and you will be instructed on how to empty them and record the drainage. You will be discharged in a flexed-at-the-waist position and will be instructed on how to handle this.

You may have support hose to prevent venous thrombosis and possible pulmonary embolism (PE). Ask your PS about this possible post-operative complication. You must get up and walk with assistance early after the procedure as instructed by your PS, though it may cause discomfort. In the bed while lying down, you should move your ankles and legs even if it is only tightening your leg muscles.

Do not plan to return to work or exercising too early. This can compromise your result. You will need help at home for the first few days. Plan this carefully. 

Basically, follow your plastic surgeon's instructions.

Best of luck with your surgery. These "mommy-makeovers" can be a positive life-changing procedure for you.

#mommy-makeover

Savannah Plastic Surgeon

TT and BL always require spetial position on the bed

+4

taking a bath every day with antiseptic shampoo soap, utilizing  compresive,elastic,soft garment,going to bed with back up positon than normal .whole   these  requirements surely will be lasting  during  at least 12 days,and spetial wound care  changing the gauzes  every day and cleaning  the wounds  will surely improves the healing speed, but the patients may keeping  moving  into the home   since  third  day, avoiding driving until 1 week  later, exercises  i month later  surgery

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+3

Good question make sure that when you go to your Pre-op you ask those questions. Each Office has their own way of doing things. In our practice we see you on the following day after surgery, a week later we remove all bandages and re apply clean padding. After that day you are allowed to shower and change the padding every day.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Post op wound care instructions

+3
Every surgeon has his own postop regimen so you should follow the instructions provided by your doctor. If you have questions about this now, call the office and ask for a sample set of postop instructions so you can read them now and be in a position to ask intelligent questions during the preop visit.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Instructions after Breast Surgery and Tummy Tuck?

+2

It would be in your best  interests to wait for your preoperative visit to address specific instructions regarding postoperative care. You will find that every plastic surgeon has a different “routine”;  since your plastic surgeon is ultimately responsible for your care,  It would be best to follow his instructions ( as opposed to online consultants').

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery.A few general words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

I hope this helps. I