Can the Injector's Experience and Technique Impact the Longevity of Radiesse on the Cheeks and Jowl Areas?

I once received two 1.5cc syringes of radiesse in the cheek and jowl areas, by an M.D. and these lasted five months. Ten months later, I received five syringes to the same areas (first three syringes, then two months later, two more syringes) by another M.D.; however, these lasted only three months. All of these were 1.5cc syringes and the M.D.s were experienced injectors. Is it possible that the lack of longevity of radiesse was due to the technique of the injector or my metabolism?

Injector technique and longevity of Radiesse

+3
This is an excellent question. I believe that surgical technique and finesse definitely play a role in the longevity of Radiesse. It is impossible to make a completely definitive assessment without seeing the extent of the jowling that was treated. However, I have never injected five syringes of Radiesse into the same area of anyone's face within a two month period. Some physicians inject Radiesse quickly and then shape it to the contour of the area. I personally prefer to inject it slowly and to shape the face to a more natural contour. Metabolism can play a role as well but the brevity of the result is unusual as I am able to palpate residual Radiesse in many patients well over a year post-injection.

Radiesse Duration

+2

Typically Radiesse should last a minimum of six months and sometimes may last over a year. The duration of effect should not really be related to technique.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

I have to agree with both Dr. Persky and Dr. Beraka

+2

Something does not make sense.  Radiesse last about a year or less.  You are describing receiving significant volumes.  While technique does matter, you have gotten so much volume that it is unlikely to just disappear from your face.  So something is up.  Perhaps you are being mislead regarding how much volume you are being injected with.  I agree that it is reasonable to look for a different injector.

+2

I use quite a bit of Radiesse to shape the cheeks, chin and jaw line and five or seven 1.5 cc syringes is a lot of Radiesse to augment the cheeks and nasolabial folds.  Are you certain thatmuch was used and that it was Radiesse?  I'm skeptical, as Radiesse should last almost 1 year and your metabolism should not go through it in 5 months.  Something's not right.

Injector experience does affect results as does the proper aesthtic judgement.  Radiesse if injected too superficially can cause white lumps and if placed in the incorrect area can deform the face but that volume should be around for at least 10 months, IMHO.

Longevity of Radiesse is Affected by the Experience, Skill, and Character of the Injecting Physician

+2

Hi Bella,

Yes, the experience, techical skill, and truthfulness of your injecting physician will affect your results and longevity.  As with every procedure that involves your face, make sure that you choose your injecting physician most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Injector's technique makes a big difference with all cosmetic procedures

+2

Radiesse should last approximately one year.  True that by the end of the year some results will be diminished.  Because it acts as both a filler and a biostimulator, it helps the skin generate its own new collagen.  The longevity of the product has much to do with technique and placement within the proper level of the skin and below.  Most of the time Radiesse is injected deep on the periostium, the connective tissue lining the bones of the face.  It takes a while for the product to resorb from there.

The most I have used on a patient with severe volume loss was 6 1.5 cc syringes, and the results were long-lasting.  7 syringes into the cheeks and jowls is quite a large amount.

Anecdotally, patients who regularly participate in strenuous exercise do tend to lose the benefits of fillers faster than those who do not.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse Injection Technique and Longevity

+2

Injector technique absolutely affects the longevity of Radiesse.  You have had a lot of Radiesse in a relatively short period of time.  However, if you have had a lot of volume loss in your face, it may require a substantial amount of material to correct that volume loss and give you the results you desire.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Results of filler injections are always dependent on the injector's experience

+2

Seven full-sized (1.5 cc) Radiesse syringes within one year to treat the same area sounds way too excessive to me. And to still not see the expected, longer lasting results from all of this filler makes even less sense. Before and after pictures would be quite helpful to assess the problem. The effectiveness of your Radiesse treatment depends on your physician’s ability to visualize the desired changes and to select and skillfully administer treatment. Because this is an art as much as it is a science, it is especially important to remember that the experience and technique of the physician injecting Radiesse is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse can easily last a year or more, depending on the location.

+1

Hi.

1)  The facts as you present them don't add up.  First, very few people need more than three syringes.  Second, it should last much longer than you describe.  I don't know why.  Perhaps your anatomical changes do not respond well to fillers.  There are women who will only benefit by surgery.

2)  It is possible that this is technique related.  Radiesse is best injected not under the skin, but deeply against the bone.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)