Was the Implant Placed Too Low on the Right? Will They Ever Look the Same? 1 Mo Post-Op (photo)

I'm 4.5 weeks post op, submuscular, filled with 435 cc right and 360 cc left mentor smooth round high profile breast implants..my left breast has seemed to drop nicely so far.. My right one not so much . Do you think it is bottoming out or will it fill in the crease? .. My surgery was a correction to asymmetrical tubular breasts.. The right being the smaller one.. I measured the length from the incision to the bottom of the areola and they are both the same. How could one look so much different?

One month post-op asymmetric implants for tubular breasts

+1

It certainly is not uncommon to have your early result.  Allow yourself time to heal and if you feel any manipulations of the implant could improve your results, discuss strategies with your surgeon as you can still change the implant position with diligent massage and use of straps/asymmetric bras/etc.  Let your surgeon guide you through this recovery process.

Wait and relax

+1

Before you panic and feel you need more surgery you need to talk to your doctor, were your breasts symmetrical pre op? Were the IM lines even? Right now your breasts need to heal -- it takes at least 3 months for them to settle. Wait and relax. Let time even things out. You might want further surgery but then again you might not need it.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Was the Implant Placed Too Low on the Right? Will They Ever Look the Same? 1 Mo Post-Op

+1

Asymmetric breast may need more than one operation, as in your case. The right appears higher riding and volume deficient. Plus the right has deficiency of the inferior pole. I recommend re operation on the right with either, larger implant or fat grafts with riggotomies. 

Inframammary crease asymmetry

+1

You do have asymmetry of the inframammary crease height.  If this does not resolve over the next 3 months you may have to consider a revision.  The choices would be to lower the high crease or raise the lower crease.  The choice will depend upon which breast looks best.  

Will They Ever Look the Same?

+1

Thanks for your photos and questions, it is still early to tell these are your final results, but we would like to see your before surgery photos to give a opinion, Best Wishes!!

Australia Fragoso Baez, MD

Asymmetry after breast augment

+1

Without preop photos it is impossible to make a determination at this point. You will need to wait 3-6 months to let this heal and settle  out and then re evaluate. The left breast may need some sort of revision which would involve capsule removal in the inferior portion allowing the implant to drop. Just remember that no two breasts are exactly alike.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry post augmentation

+1

it is very difficult to evaluate your result without preoperative photos. You are early postop, so things need to settle somewhat, but your preop photos showing nipple position and differences of the breasts are necessary to give you an opinion. 

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Uneven placement of breast implants 1 month post-op

+1

There are a couple of points to make at the beginning.  First, you note that you had tuberous breasts with asymmetry, the right being smaller, but you have not shown any preoperative images.  This may tell some of the story because the smaller breast may also have had more lower pole constriction and more ptosis, or droop, of the nipple and upper breast tissue, or the inframammary fold (below the breast) may have been higher.  This may impact the placement, at least early on, of the implant, or it may have required some adjustment of the level of the fold to achieve symmetry.  The second thing is that you didn't mention whether your implants are saline or silicone gel.  If they are saline implants, in addition to using different sizes of implants, filling them with different volumes of saline can also change the shape and dimensions of the implant subtly, and this difference can show up in the breasts postoperatively.  The third thing to note is that with tuberous breasts, the lower breast tissue is often constricted, and this is visible internally as very fibrous tissues with lots of tight bands in the breast tissue.  If these bands weren't released adequately it can delay or even impair the settling of the breast implants, and if the two breasts were different in this way to begin with, unless they were treated differently in surgery, they will still look different afterwards.   Additionally, if your right breast had more ptosis to begin with, unless this is addressed at surgery, like with a lifting procedure, that difference will still exist after surgery, similar to what we are seeing here.  I don't think your left breast implant is bottoming at all, in fact it is in pretty good position right now; the issue is with the right.  The last thing to note is that the one group of my patients that I tell to be the most patient is my tuberous breast patients ( I have done 4 of them this month to date alone, so they're not that unusual!) because they are the ones with the tightest lower pole tissues, and it will take them the most time to see the final results as the tissues will require more time to settle and relax.  At this point, the best thing you can do is be patient, follow your surgeon's instructions regarding massage, activity, bra wear and/or compression strap use, and allow at least 3 to 4 months to elapse before you make any judgments about shape, symmetry, or implant position.  At that point, if things are still not what you had hope for, have an open honest discussion with your surgeon about your goals and what steps may be next.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD